• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mobile 6 wipe

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Mobile 6 wipe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mobile 6 wipe - 28.Apr.2008 10:48:41 PM   
jasonbvh

We have mixed Exchange 2003 and  2007 and busy with migrations and wanted to know how to wipe a mobile 6 device only on Exchange 2007??

jasonbvh
Post #: 1
RE: Mobile 6 wipe - 28.Apr.2008 11:52:00 PM   
Elan Shudnow

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124591(EXCHG.80).aspx

In addition to that, if a user loses his/her device, they can log in to OWA and do a remote wipe themselves through the Options section.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to jasonbvh)
Post #: 2
RE: Mobile 6 wipe - 29.Apr.2008 8:09:59 PM   
jasonbvh

thanks ,what exchange 2007 perrmissions does a desktop support user need to wipe a device.

jasonbvh

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 3
RE: Mobile 6 wipe - 29.Apr.2008 8:18:29 PM   
Elan Shudnow

Organization Administrator.  One other thing you can do is to set up a policy where you lock the mobile device with a PIN after a period of idle time.  Then set it up so when the PIN has been entered incorrectly a certain amount of times, the device is automatically wiped.  Granted this can be annioying, but is good from a security perspective.  You'll get used to it eventually.

You can also give help desk users extended rights to users mailboxes.  That way when a user loses their device, the helpdesk user can login to OWA, open that user's mailbox, open the options, and wipe the device.

And finally, you can educate your users that if they lose their device, they must login to OWA, go into options, and wipe all the data on their device.  Granted you'll have to create documentation where a basic non-technical user can follow.  Express the importance that this must be done if a device is lost, and if they're having trouble, to immediately contact the helpdesk.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP

(in reply to jasonbvh)
Post #: 4
RE: Mobile 6 wipe - 29.Apr.2008 9:07:34 PM   
jasonbvh

thanks that helps and makes sense, if we wanted to give the second level support team access via the 2007 Management console , what exchange extended right do we give the second support staff?

jasonbvh

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 5
RE: Mobile 6 wipe - 30.Apr.2008 8:56:36 AM   
Elan Shudnow

Giving access to the Exchange Management Console will require them to have Organization Administrator if you want them to be able to wipe.  If you want to give them extended rights to the user's mailbox, you will need to give them fullaccess rights to the user's mailbox so they can login to their mailbox from their OWA account .
Get-Mailbox Usermailbox | Add-MailboxPermission -User "HelpdeskGroup or Helpdesk User" -AccessRights 'Fullaccess'

If you wanted to add the Help Desk Group so they have full access to all mailboxes, it'd be:
Get-Mailbox | Add-MailboxPermission -User "HelpdeskGroup " -AccessRights 'Fullaccess'

Keep in mind, doing this will grant the help desk full access to ALL users in your organization.  Tihis is NOT good from a security standoff.  Personally, if it was me, I'd educate my users on how to wipe their own devices and have help desk issues for mobile wipe escalated to Organization Administrators. 

I'd also rather use the EAS Policies before I gave helpdesk that much power.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP

(in reply to jasonbvh)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Mobile 6 wipe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread