• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

default website for IIS - can you change it and get owa to work?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> default website for IIS - can you change it and get owa to work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
default website for IIS - can you change it and get owa... - 29.Apr.2008 7:21:37 AM   
rferris

so for the CAS servers you install IIS and then install Exchange, all defaults etc etc c:\inetpub etc etc

but if you want to install IIS and set up the exchange website to run from a different drive you get exchange pre-requisit errors looking for the default website. So edit the metabase to show your new site on a different drive has an ID of 1 and then you have a new default website.

BUT this doesnt work becuase your owa wont work then, the application just deosnt work.

So I had to default back to the default IIS install.

However I had presumed best practice move the default IIS root and then found it didnt work. I can work out that the exchange software is written with some hard coded paths in or some such thing and hence whay it doesnt work but is this not odd? Have I just picked up and something I should just except?

any ideas?

Robin
Post #: 1
RE: default website for IIS - can you change it and get... - 29.Apr.2008 1:06:43 PM   
Sembee

Don't presume anything. Where did you get the idea to move the IIS root was best practise?

OWA and other Exchange functions are not supported outside of the default web site. If you try to change anything in the default web site configuration or use OWA in another web site then you are unsupported and Microsoft will tell you to put it back.

You do not get security from obscurity.

If the server is dedicated to Exchange and isn't hosting anything else then you are secure. IIS 6 has never been compromised directly - it has always been through an application installed on it. I am also not aware of Exchange being compromised either, again unless third party tools are installed.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to rferris)
Post #: 2
RE: default website for IIS - can you change it and get... - 30.Apr.2008 4:10:12 AM   
rferris

seembee

thanks for the reply - totally get the security by obscurity arguement

I got the idea from my sharepoint days where you move the default website and delete Inetpub etc

It is definately been standard practice for me and other I have worked with to move to a non root drive, idea being web application gets comprised at least they will start at a non root drive etc etc

Exchange doesnt actually work if it's not in the default directory so you actually have to have it there. I was just mulling over the issue really.

What I did find slightly annoying is that the pre-requiste checker just looks at the metabase for confirmation that it is installing to the "default website" there didnt seem to be any documentation around it.

Anyways thanks for the reply

Robin

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> default website for IIS - can you change it and get owa to work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter