• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transaction Log path?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transaction Log path? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transaction L... - 28.May2008 1:09:29 PM   
x0rerror

I have my System Files Path located on the (default) C: drive

I have my Tlogs on another drive.

Should i Move Storage Group Path for the System Files Path to the same drive as my Tlogs?

Should i place this in a seperate folder? i.e.

System Files path t:\system files as opposed to T:\Transaction Logs

Thanks for any recommendations.
Post #: 1
RE: Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transacti... - 28.May2008 1:15:24 PM   
uemurad

Best practice dictates separate physical drive paths for the system/application files, the mailbox databases, and the transactional log files.  This is primarily a performance consideration as the databases and log files are very I/O intensive and will cause contention between the processes if they utilize the same drive heads.

Note that I'm talking physical drives and not logical (partitioned) drives.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 2
RE: Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transacti... - 28.May2008 3:17:17 PM   
x0rerror

I actually posted this question in the wrong forum i guess since it's actuall e2k7.

BUT i guess the same Best Practice applies.

I asked the question due to the fact when i run the Best Practice Analyzer it tells me i left my Systems File Path on the C: drive and it might take a long time in a disaster recovery situation to recover due to the fat they are located there.

2 out of my 3 storage groups have the System Files Path set to the default c: drive while one of my stores has them placed on the same drive as my DB store i beleive. ( would need to verify ).

Things got a little messy when initially setting them up. Now they are populated and i dont't want to damage anything in the process.

thanks again for your input.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Should my Systems file Path be same as my Transaction Log path? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter