• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 18.Jun.2008 9:28:25 AM   
AndreBR

Hello to all!

We run Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and Exchange Server 2007 SP1 with the Update Rollup 2 installed. Every now and then our Hub Transport server stops working with no warnings - the Microsoft Exchange Transport service just stops by itself, and no events explaining why the service has stopped are logged to Event Viewer.

Digging the Event Viewer I found the following:

Event Type: Warning
     Event Source: MSExchangeMailSubmission
     Event Category: MSExchangeMailSubmission
     Event ID: 1009
     Date:  18/06/2008
     Time:  07:18:07
     User:  N/A
     Computer: <server-name>
     Description:
     The Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission Service is currently unable to
     contact any Hub Transport servers in the local Active Directory site. The
     servers may be too busy to accept new connections at this time.

Even though Service Control Manager is configured to restart the service if it crashes, nothing happens – we solve the issue simply starting the service manually.

This has also happened to our Edge Transport server.

I have searched Microsoft Support, Exchange Blogs (MS-official and no official), the internet, but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any idea of what's happening? Is there any way to correct this and/or automate the process of restarting the service (like monitoring the event id 1009 from MSExchangeMailSubmission, since it’s the only one being logged, with “pure” Windows/Exchange – that is, no 3rd party tool/application installed to do the monitoring)?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 1.Jul.2008 6:16:58 AM   
rishishah

If your exchange server runs out of resources it will stop the transport services...this way no more e-mail come in.

It is called Back Pressure.

Have a look at http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/understanding-back-pressure-feature-exchange-server-2007.html

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to AndreBR)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 1.Jul.2008 6:32:55 AM   
AndreBR

Thank you rishishah, but back pressure occurs when you run out of disk space on the disk where the queue is located, and it does not stop the Microsoft Exchange Transport service: it just makes the service stop accepting new messages until the queue is cleaned and disk space is reclaimed - we have plenty of disk space where the queue is located.

What happens here is that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service just stops, as if someone went to Service Manager and stopped it there - no warnings, no errors, no nothing that could give me a clue of what's happening.

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 3
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 7.Jul.2008 5:21:28 AM   
rishishah

till you find event logs that relat to you issue, i sugets you sue the net start command and schedule it every few mins to run and start you rlevant services.

Atleast this way they will start back up.

I know this is not want you are looking for, but try and dig around for logs or events.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to AndreBR)
Post #: 4
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 8.Jul.2008 12:03:26 AM   
vsin11

What antivirus and backup software are you using...? try disabling both one by one to check if any of them is interfering with the Exchange Service...

Vinay Pal Singh
http://smarthost.blogspot.com

(in reply to rishishah)
Post #: 5
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 8.Jul.2008 6:45:52 AM   
AndreBR

There's no antivirus software installed on the Exchange box; we are using Tivoli Data Protection but it doesn't appear to be the cause of the problem, since it happens way after the backup has finished. Anyway, thank you for your suggestion!

(in reply to vsin11)
Post #: 6
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 8.Jul.2008 7:00:26 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndreBR

Thank you rishishah, but back pressure occurs when you run out of disk space on the disk where the queue is located, and it does not stop the Microsoft Exchange Transport service ...

Well, in RTM (at least) it seem to do. Have a look at this blog post containing your Event ID: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2006/11/exchange-2007-back-pressure-and-smtp.html

Searching the Internet also gave one hit on error on SID on the Exchange server but that really seems far fetched.

(in reply to AndreBR)
Post #: 7
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 8.Jul.2008 7:07:15 AM   
AndreBR

Thank you, Jesper, but our server has Service Pack 1 installed and plenty of available disk space on the volume where the queues are located.

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 8
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 6.Aug.2008 9:32:40 AM   
skydive

I have the same setup and i'm having the exact same error and can't find any traces for my problem, this same behavior is happening with other Exchange Services, but mainly with Transport Service.

Did anybody find a solution?

Thanks

(in reply to AndreBR)
Post #: 9
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 6.Aug.2008 10:03:42 AM   
AndreBR

I've never found a solution.

We ended up migrating to a new server (for other unrelated reasons) on July 16th, since then the problem hasn't occurred again.

(in reply to skydive)
Post #: 10
RE: Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself - 19.Jan.2012 9:34:30 PM   
nshmakov

I came across an issue on Exchange 2007 a while back now. Basically we received a few alerts on SCOM regarding the Hub Transport Service being stopped on an Exchange Server.

So i jumped onto the server in question and came across the following events in the event log.

“Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Transaction Manager
Event ID: 623
Date:
Time:
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
edgetransport (5612) Transport Mail Database: The version store for this
instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 249Mb. It is likely that a
long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and
causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the
long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.
Possible long-running transaction:
SessionId: 0×0000000005217400
Session-context: 0×00000000
Session-context ThreadId: 0x00000000000014F8
Cleanup: 1

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: Storage
Event ID: 17017
Date:
Time:
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Transport Mail Database: Quota exceeded while performing a database
operation. The Microsoft Exchange Transport service is shutting down.
Exception details:
Microsoft.Exchange.Isam.IsamVersionStoreOutOfMemoryException: Version store
out of memory (cleanup already attempted) (-1069)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Isam.?A0x051b51e0.HandleError(Int32 err)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Isam.Interop.MJetSetColumn(MJET_TABLEID tableid,
MJET_COLUMNID columnid, Byte[] data, MJET_GRBIT grbit, MJET_SETINFO setinfo)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Storage.DataStreamImmediateWriter.Write(Int64
position, Byte[] data) ”

So i started the Hub transport service again and then had a quick look at the mail queue via queue viewer. In The queue viewer i spotted a 250mb e-mail and consequently was just too big for the hub transport to handle and causing the service to stop.

To get his issue fixed i had to get rid of this mail out of the queue, first i tried removing the mail with no NDR, this got rid of the mail, however 20 seconds later it reappeared again.

So what i had to do was recreate the queue, so it basically got rid of all mail that was currently in the queue. The downside to this is that other mail still queuing up on the Hub Transport server will be lost to.

Resolution

1, Make sure the MS Exchange Transport service is stopped.

2, Rename the following directory “<drive>\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue” to “<drive>\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue_old”

3, Start the MS Exchange Transport service

4, This Should Recreate the Queue folder and the “MS Exchange Transport” will no longer stop.

This Should Resolve Your Issue.

Best Regards,

Nick Shmakov

(in reply to AndreBR)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Microsoft Exchange Transport service stops by itself Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter