• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

External Message Routing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> External Message Routing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
External Message Routing - 30.Jun.2008 7:43:42 AM   
boywonder

Setup
====
We are a child domain in a forrest (lets say - child.parent.org)
Exchange 2007 installed in child domain - child07serv.child.parent.org
Exchange 2003 installed in child domain - child03serv.child.parent.org

Parent domain setup
=============
Exchange 2007 installed in parent domain - parent07serv.parent.org

Scenario
When an external email is sent from a mailbox on the [child07serv] server, the mail is routed via [parent07serv.parent.org]
When an external email is sent from a mailbox on the [child03serv] server, the mail is routed directly out to the internet (this is correct)

The questrion I have is...

Before I migrate all our users to the new 2007 server [child07serv], how can I force all external mail being sent from the child domain to be sent directly from the [child07serv] machine and not via our parent server?

Please help!!
Post #: 1
RE: External Message Routing - 8.Jul.2008 12:22:15 AM   
vsin11

Create the new Send Connector for child07serv to send out mails directly to internet.

Vinay Pal Singh
http://smarthost.blogspot.com

(in reply to boywonder)
Post #: 2
RE: External Message Routing - 8.Jul.2008 1:49:25 AM   
Exchange_Geek

How to create a send connector

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998814(EXCHG.80).aspx

(in reply to vsin11)
Post #: 3
RE: External Message Routing - 8.Jul.2008 4:36:29 AM   
boywonder

Hi
Thanks for the advice.  We dont have Edge servers but we already have a Send connector with the correct settings/cost values but mail still goes out via our parent server?

Any further ideas?

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 4
RE: External Message Routing - 9.Jul.2008 2:23:28 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Do you have the hub role in your child domain ? If Yes, here is the excert of the same document which you should be concerned about.

6. The Source Server page only appears on Hub Transport servers. By default, the Hub Transport server that you are currently working on is listed as a source server. To add a source server, click Add. In the Select Hub Transport servers and Edge Subscriptions dialog box, select the Hub Transport servers or the subscribed Edge Transport servers that will be used as the source server for sending messages to the address space that you provided in step 5. The list of source servers can contain all Hub Transport servers or all subscribed Edge Transport servers, but not a mix of both. When you are finished adding additional source servers, click OK.

Also, what is the cost you are specifying to send emails outside ?

4. On the Address space page, do one of the following:
 Cost   Use the address space cost to set the selection priority when more than one Send connector is configured for the same address space. During routing resolution, when the connector selection is made, the least cost routing path to the destination address space is selected. The default cost is set to 1. The valid input range is 1 to 100.

If the cost factor from your child domain is more than the parent domain & both have the address space defined as *, then the route of the parent domain will be taken to send emails to the internet.

(in reply to boywonder)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> External Message Routing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter