• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

upgrading to Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> upgrading to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
upgrading to Exchange 2007 - 2.Jul.2008 1:29:24 PM   
alistair4267

hello

I currently running Exchange 2003, now i would like to upgrade to Exchange 2007. I have installed Exchange 2007 as clean O/s on a different server but need to know how to migrate my users from 2003 to 2007 ? could i Exmerge all the users mailboxes as PST and then create their new mailboxes on 2007 and import them again ?

any ideas ?

Thanks
alistair
Post #: 1
RE: upgrading to Exchange 2007 - 2.Jul.2008 3:33:10 PM   
jassyca

Have you seen the paper on this site about "Transitioning from Exchange 2000/2003 to Exchange 2007" by Henrik Walther? Here's a link to part 1 of 3:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part1.html

It's a very good guide. But remember, it's just a guide. You may have to make some adjustments based on your environment. For instance, we had keep an Exchange 2003 server for the Lotus Notes connector (yes, there's one that's in Beta for Ex2007 but we don't use beta-ware in production). So there were some steps we had to miss or completely change for our upgrade. You may have to do the same.

Read it and think about how your Exchange server is used currently. And document, document, document as much as you can how your Ex2003 server is configured. If you "inherited" your Exchange server, you might find out some things you didn't know about it. Look at the virtual SMTP service, open every screen that you can and see what it says. Look at your connectors. Do you have any other than just the "Internet" connector? If so, how are they configured and how is the internet connector configured? Does it send messages out directly using MX records or does it use a smart host? What restrictions does it have, what about time outs, etc.? Then look at your info stores. Are there any limits and what are they? How about your recipient policies? There's a ton of stuff to look at.

When I "document" a server's configuration, I usually just take screen shots of the configuration screens, if I can. It's quick and a picture says a 1,000 words. I'll put the screen shots into a Word doc file, one for each "thing" that I'm documenting. So I might have one with 7 screen shots for the various configuration screens of the Internet connector. And another Word doc with 10 screen shots of the Lotus Notes connector. Each in it's own doc. That way, I don't have to dig through a 500 page document looking for the one screen shot I need to see to remind myself of the name of the mailbox we used on the Notes server for our old Notes connector.

But, mostly, take a look at the guide in the above link. And save yourself a whooooole lot of heartache.

(in reply to alistair4267)
Post #: 2
RE: upgrading to Exchange 2007 - 4.Jul.2008 3:04:48 AM   
Exchange_Geek

I believe the info given above was splendid. Again if you would want to refer to MS documentation in detail refer to

Upgrading to Exchange 2007
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124008(EXCHG.80).aspx

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> upgrading to Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter