• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete - 12.Aug.2008 11:13:45 AM   
batfastad

Hi everyone
Yesterday we had a problem where the server suddenly stopped accepting logins. Rebooted the server and it resumed normal operation.

I think I tracked the problem down to the server running out of disk space.
I looked in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA and found about 90GB of .log files all named E00070A1.log etc and all 5120KB
Looking at them from date modified, they dated back 8 months and I think these had filled the drive.

Is it safe to delete these log files?
Or should I back them up somewhere then delete?

We have regular Exchange backups already scheduled so I don't know why these are being generated

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks, Ben
Post #: 1
RE: Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete - 12.Aug.2008 7:19:24 PM   
John Ranjith Paul

Did you perform a full back. A full backup should purge all the commited log files...

How to remove Exchange Server transaction log files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

(in reply to batfastad)
Post #: 2
RE: Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete - 19.Aug.2008 5:29:55 AM   
batfastad

Right ok. Thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to get this sorted ASAP.

As far as I'm aware we have been running full backups, since well before these log files have been created.
In Scheduled Tasks we have 8 full backups per month, one every Friday night/Saturday morning, and another to a different drive every Sunday morning.

The previous week's Friday/Sunday full backups are taken off-site for 3 weeks until that media is needed again for the 4th week.
Then every week night there's an incremental, with the previous day's taken off-site.

How do I run a full backup on our Exchange data?

I've found the Backup utility in Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools contains a section in the tree for MS Exchange / Information Store

If I run that manually, should that commit those log files and remove them?
Do I need to stop any Exchange related services before running the full backup?

Thanks, Ben

(in reply to John Ranjith Paul)
Post #: 3
RE: Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete - 21.Aug.2008 9:05:56 AM   
batfastad

Ok I went through the steps and all 4 DBs showed Clean Shutdown and Log Required 0-0 when I ran eseutil according to that KB article.

Ran a manual full backup, then the log files magically disappeared!
I'd backed them all up first though

Now I better check those backups to see what was happening and why the logs weren't being cleared

Thanks for the help

(in reply to batfastad)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Log files created in MDBDATA folder, safe to delete Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter