• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

no exchange connection

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> no exchange connection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
no exchange connection - 18.Aug.2008 3:13:08 PM   
wrlibrary

Hi. I administer a network for libraries in east TN and we have exchange 03. it is a bane of my existence, as I donít not have much exchange knowledge, but iím trying to correct that.

I currently have one library down on email. Iím told that one cpu is able to receive incoming mail but can send nothing out. Others cannot connect to exchange at all. What is unique about this library is they are running Office 07/Outlook 07 (theyíre the only oneís on the network). We installed 07 back in the fall of last year and this problem just surfaced last month. Iím not convinced it is the 07 upgrade causing the issue, because the one computer that can connect to the server, but can only receive email and not send it, is not using Outlook 07.

i honestly not sure where to start. Any ideas. thanks.
dustin..
Post #: 1
RE: no exchange connection - 18.Aug.2008 3:31:15 PM   
uemurad

I can't tell how much you know about Exchange, so feel free to ask for more detail.

Since your Outlook clients don't seem to be connecting to Exchange, let's start there.  The Outlook version shouldn't matter, other than looking different.

Is the Exchange server in the same physical location as the workstations?
From one of these workstations, can you ping the Exchange server name?
Do you log these workstations onto a domain account?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 2
RE: no exchange connection - 18.Aug.2008 4:10:53 PM   
wrlibrary

thanks for the help!
i know little, i've only been dealing with exchange for a few months now and has had zero training. i was kinda put in this postion by default.

"Is the Exchange server in the same physical location as the workstations?" - no

"From one of these workstations, can you ping the Exchange server name?" - I know how to ping, but not in this manor. do you mean Exchange or the physical server? if you mean Exchange i don't.

"Do you log these workstations onto a domain account?"- I think so, but how do i find that out?

thanks again.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: no exchange connection - 18.Aug.2008 5:35:08 PM   
uemurad

quote:

i was kinda put in this postion by default
No worries - I've yet to meet anyone who voluntarily became an Exchange Admin.  I think that most of us started just like you .

The reason I asked you about the physical location is that there could be entirely different access methods between Outlook and Exchange.  If everything is in the same place, you'd typically log the workstation onto the domain using a domain account, then launching Outlook.  That way all the authentication is done through AD.

If the workstations and server are in different places, you might be using a site-to-site VPN tunnel so that the two locations are still part of the same AD infrastructure.  In that case you might still be logging onto the workstations using a domain account.  On the other hand, you might just have a simple Internet connection from the workstations, and using Outlook to connect to the server using RPC/HTTPS. 

Who are the users?  Are these library employees?  Do they use publicly accessible workstations, or are these used by employees only?  I'm still trying to get an idea of your environment.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 4
RE: no exchange connection - 19.Aug.2008 10:12:34 AM   
wrlibrary

These computers in general are set up with simple internet connection, RPC over TCP/IP, i'm pretty sure. i've not seen any evidence of a VPN connection.

The only folks that we supply email for are the librarians, thus only their work stations are connected to exchange. There is no public access.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: no exchange connection - 19.Aug.2008 8:45:46 PM   
uemurad

Please read through this article from MVP Daniel Petri.  Read through the entire article, but there is a section at the end about configuring Outlook.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 6
RE: no exchange connection - 21.Aug.2008 10:46:20 AM   
wrlibrary

i've read the article and going through some of the steps. i noticed that service pack 2 is installed, but not SP1 on my machine. Can SP2 be installed without SP1 and are there components that are exclusive in both where if one or the other is absent then it might not work properly?

i'm in the process of downloading SP1.

thanks again for the help!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: no exchange connection - 21.Aug.2008 11:32:51 AM   
uemurad

If you are referring to Exchange SP1 and Exchange SP2, then the answer is that SP2 includes everything in SP1.  You do NOT need to install Exchange SP1 first.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 8
RE: no exchange connection - 21.Aug.2008 11:58:40 AM   
wrlibrary

OK. Looking back on it the article was talking about XP service pack, but i've got SBS 03. are they simular?

the reason this is coming up is under this section,

"Configure all your global catalogs to use specific ports for RPC over HTTP for directory services"

i took these steps...
1.      Click Start, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
2.      Expand your organization, expand Administrative Groups > First Administrative Group > Servers.
3.      Right-click on your server name and select Properties.
     4. On the General tab, verify that you have SP1 installed. Verify that a tab called RPC-HTTP is present

on the 4th step, i neither saw that SP1 was installed nor was there a RPC-HTTP tab.

everything else was fine up to that point. thats why i though i need to install it. i show that i have Small Business Server SP2.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: no exchange connection - 21.Aug.2008 1:29:47 PM   
uemurad

At this point you'll want to download and install Exchange 2003 SP2.  SBS03-SP2 is independent of Exchange.

You'll want to do this off-hours since the SP will likely want a reboot.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 10
RE: no exchange connection - 21.Aug.2008 1:51:34 PM   
wrlibrary

will do!! thanks again. i'll be in touch..

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 11
RE: no exchange connection - 25.Aug.2008 3:30:45 PM   
wrlibrary

ok.. so i figured out that we do not do RPC/HTTP, but we have a LAN connection from the server to the workstations. this is what my predecessor tells me, none of the email travels through the internet, its simply transferred within our LAN. So that article may not be the correct path. Sorry..

i did however download and install Exchange SP2. not sure if its really fixed anything (or made things worse), but time will tell.

if you have any more ideas to this i am open to them.

thanks!!

(in reply to wrlibrary)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> no exchange connection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter