• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition - 19.Aug.2008 10:34:47 AM   
echotester

I am beginning the initial stages of transitioning from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 for one of my clients.  This is my first time with the Exchange 2007 product.  The current setup is an Exchange 2000 "front-end" server in the DMZ for OWA and 2 Exchange 2000 servers in the LAN.  One LAN server is primary and the other is in "standby" mode with no Exchange services running.  It just receives nightly replication updates from a 3rd party piece of software.  Their IT manager purchased 2 new 64-bit servers with Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange 2007 Enterprise.  He would like to implement a cluster with the 2 new servers.  I am unsure of the best deployment method and what server roles should be used.  It appears that when you choose the cluster option, all other server roles are grayed out.  What roles actually get installed on the clustered boxes?  What will take the place of the "front-end" server in the DMZ?

Thanks,

Doug (echotester)
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition - 19.Aug.2008 11:04:41 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You are no longer allowed to have anything in the DMZ except for the Edge role which is something that transmits messages to and from the Internet. It is an optional role and is not actually necessary for most deployments.

The FE role is now a mix of the CAS and the HT which, if you wish to use a cluster, must be on additional hardware. A clustered MB role cannot be combined with the HT/CAS.

There are some fundamental holes in your understanding of 2007 over 2003 so what I would do is to get one of the books from Amazon (McBee, Redmond etc. etc) and then also get yourself set up with vmware/Virtual server lab kit.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to echotester)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition - 19.Aug.2008 11:33:12 AM   
echotester

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  So what I am looking at is 2 boxes in a cluster relationship and a third box as the CAS/HT server.  I need to convince the IT manager that he doesn't need the Edge server and that we can lock down and only allow 443 to the CAS/HT server for OWA from the outside.  The other challenge is that he wants the clustered servers distributed in remote locations and the "heartbeat" adapters have to be on the same subnet.  The Edge server provides more functionality that what he needs.  He already has a virus and spam filter.  The CAS is what will provide his OWA feature.  Is the VMware lab an actual VM appliance for testing or would I have to build all of the images on a VMware server?

Thanks,

Doug

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition - 19.Aug.2008 11:52:04 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You go to vmware.com and download VMware Server (it's free) and then you use that as your lab with all your lab DCs and Exchange servers in it.

As for the distributed environment., you need to understand what your manager wants. You can use CCR across sites either with Windows 2003 or 2008. You can use SCR or you can use Veritas Clustering Services (or similar). The actual technology is based purely on the business requirement.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to echotester)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition - 19.Aug.2008 8:57:01 PM   
jaycapper

you can only install the mailbox role on a CCR cluster.  You would need a 3rd server to support the HUB and CAS roles.

(in reply to echotester)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2000 -> Exchange 2007 Transition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter