• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 9:47:57 AM   
outcastcolt

I am new to forums so I hope that I am placeing this in the right area.  Any help pointing me into the right direction would great.  If you see issues with the way things are set up let me know give me suggestions comments as well. I am building a windows 2003 server Domain and using exchange 2003 for mail servers.

Description of Network:

1 Forest 1 Domain (I do not want to use sub-domains)
6 Sites
1 Domain Controller and 1 Exchange server at each site
DNS running on each DC (DNS are running as Secondary DNS)
Active Directory is organized in accordance with the specific sites.

Goal:

My goal and intentions is to have each site opperate on its own if the WAN connections go down. Each DC is setup as a cached global catolog. The main purpose is to minimize traffice betwen sites and to make all network resources from loging in to email available on the LAN if the WAN drops. All users mailboxes with in a specific site will reside on that sites exchange box.

Problem at hand:

The problem that I am running in to is how properly route the email traffic with exchange and DNS. The MX record will be on the primary DNS so if there link goes down how will the traffic be routed internaly and how can keep exchange still functioning properly so that email with in the local site will still function.  If the main exchange WAN connection goes down how will the other sites send email outside the LAN. Like I said any help pointing me in the right direction would be great and if you have suggestions let me know. Thanks.....  Coy
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 10:02:29 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Internally Exchange does not use MX records what so ever.
You can't 'minimize' traffic. If a mail needs to go from A to B it will go on the wire. That you have a DC and an Exchange server in each location serves as your minimization when it comes to AD lookups so you're sorted there.

You're asking a question about a problem that doesn't exist really.

If the WAN goes down the local Exchange will still deliver mail internally because there is a GC sat next to it. When the WAN comes back up the messages will be delivered.

The question you haven't asked is about how to distribute mail across sites. Are you having a fully meshed network or do you want to have a hub and spoke environment?

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to outcastcolt)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 11:22:56 AM   
outcastcolt

Thank you for your reponse, when I was talking about minimize traffic with exchange was for internal email traffic with in that LAN this is where majority of the email exchange will happen.

With the local email delivery thats what I need to know.  One thing that I didnt mention is were in the process of deploying this design and really didnt have time to test then implament.  I really appreciate addressing this issue for me though.

I would prefer to do a fully mesh for site traffic.  Will I have to due something speacial for site to site traffic.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 11:36:42 AM   
mark@mvps.org

If you're going fully meshed you need to do nothing. Exchange A will have a message for a user, will ask its local GC where the mailbox is and then will send to it direct. Be careful though, you need to make sure the network can get to all the servers because Exchange won't bother trying to route messages around the network if it cannot get directly to an intended destination.

List Moderator

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 12:10:57 PM   
outcastcolt

"Be careful though, you need to make sure the network can get to all the servers because Exchange won't bother trying to route messages around the network if it cannot get directly to an intended destination. "

Is there any way around this, if not is there another prefered method to gaurantee message delivery.  Or is there a way that exchange can determine if the connection to the end exchange is up then send the message.  Basically a cue, because the sites can go mobile at any given time so the connection be up at that given time that an email is sent out.

Again thank you, you are answering a lot of questions and saving me a tramendous amount of headaches.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites - 5.Sep.2008 12:18:19 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Having a competent network design is key. If you are going to have mobile sites or whatever then a decent network design is not a mesh. Design it properly. You can have four sites in a nice mesh and then two (the numbers are flexible) going through a central hub.

List Moderator

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange routing issuse with multiple sites Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter