• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Using same mail adress for multiple users

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Using same mail adress for multiple users Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using same mail adress for multiple users - 8.Sep.2008 9:26:11 AM   
Gautier

Hi all

Dumb question from a wannabe admin :

I have three users on my network that use a single external adress mail (contact@company.coml) with pop3 connector and smtp. I properly created a distribution group forwarding pop3 to the three users but I have a problem when sending mail : the mail is sent correctly but the "from:" field contain "userx@company.com". Problematic because these adresses does not exist at our external mail provider, so these mails cannot be replied. I've tried to change manualy the email adress of the users from userx@company.com to contact@company.com in server management but when applying, the adress revert automaticly to what it was previously.

Is there a way so i can use the same mail adress for multiple users ?

Thanks and sorry for my crappy english.

< Message edited by Gautier -- 8.Sep.2008 10:05:42 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Using one adress for multiple users - 8.Sep.2008 9:56:54 AM   
uemurad

When sending, Exchange will always use the primary SMTP address of the sending object.

What that means is you have to do the following:
1.  Ensure that contact@company.com is the primary SMTP address of the object receiving the Email (i.e. it cannot be an alias to an object)
2.  The three users have to have Send As security permissions to that object (it's on the Security tab, not Mailbox Rights)
3.  When sending a message, the users have to change "From" to the object that receives the Email (otherwise the user's primary address appears instead)

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Gautier)
Post #: 2
RE: Using one adress for multiple users - 8.Sep.2008 10:31:23 AM   
Gautier

Thanks for the quick reply but :

1.  Ensure that contact@company.com is the primary SMTP address of the object receiving the Email (i.e. it cannot be an alias to an object)

> I can't define contact@company.com as primary SMTP adress for users : if I try to add it, an error message appears saying it's already in use. I used it for the distribution group in witch are the three users. I've tried to uncheck the "inherit from recipient policies thing" with no more results

2.  The three users have to have Send As security permissions to that object (it's on the Security tab, not Mailbox Rights)

> I can't find the famous "security tab", either when going in properties for users item in the basic management" or in the AD tree users item properties

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Using one adress for multiple users - 8.Sep.2008 10:57:14 AM   
uemurad

quote:

> I can't define contact@company.com as primary SMTP adress for users : if I try to add it, an error message appears saying it's already in use. I used it for the distribution group in witch are the three users. I've tried to uncheck the "inherit from recipient policies thing" with no more results
What I meant by this is that the SMTP address has to be the primary address for an object.  That object could be a user, or in this case a Distribution Group.  The only thing that matters is that it is the primary address and not a secondary address.
quote:

> I can't find the famous "security tab", either when going in properties for users item in the basic management" or in the AD tree users item properties
Since you didn't know where to find the security tab, I'm guessing this is what you are missing.  Open the ADUC (Users & Computers), and under the View menu, select Advanced Features.  That will display the Security tab when you view the properties of an object.  Add the three users into the list, scroll down a bit to find "Send As", and make sure all three have the box checked.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Gautier)
Post #: 4
RE: Using same mail adress for multiple users - 8.Sep.2008 11:50:18 AM   
Gautier

It works ! Thanks for your help and explainations.

(in reply to Gautier)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Using same mail adress for multiple users Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter