• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export options

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export options - 8.Sep.2008 3:15:21 PM   
eriq35

I am running into a potential problem.  I have been tasked with taking all mailboxes and exporting the contents for shipment offsite to a vendor who will be importing the historical mail for Compliance archiving reasons.  The problem is that there are a few users with 16GB mailboxes, and another 20 or so users with between 10 and 15GB mailboxes.  Now the problem is, when I run Exmerge, it shows the size as being 4GB (once the mailbox is selected) and the required psace for the PST is 8GB.  BUT, the limit for the PST file is 2GB.  What are my other options for easily getting the mail copied without manually going into each super mailbox and manually creating multiple PST files.
I need some of the functions of exmerge such as including the dumpster items (aware of DumpsterAlwaysOn) Im looking for server side ways to manage the export.

Please help!!
Post #: 1
RE: Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export o... - 8.Sep.2008 10:43:50 PM   
uemurad

There are a couple of ways you can deal with this.  One is to export the mailbox using Outlook (2003 or later).  The PST size limit is larger, but you'll also have to import it using Outlook.

An alternative is to read through this blog article by Glen Scales.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to eriq35)
Post #: 2
RE: Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export o... - 9.Sep.2008 10:40:38 AM   
eriq35

Thank you for your reply.  That may be an option depending upon the process for importation at Global Relay.  I have another question regarding exmerge. 
I have a number of 10-16GB mailboxes running on Exchange 2003 Enterprise.  When I run Exmerge, they only show up as 4GB, but the listed space required is double at 8GB, when run it only dumps up to the PST limit of 2GB.  Would I be best served by trying to tweak the date ranges and run multiple exmerge sessions (one at a time) for each mailbox to get the dumps down to under 2GB each , and then just have say 8-10 PS files for each mailbox of that size?  I am not running exmerge in Archive mode yet, so I can play around with windows if that sounds like the best option.
What are the actual limitations of exmerge, and what happens when the file reached 2GB?

Thanks

< Message edited by eriq35 -- 9.Sep.2008 10:41:44 AM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export o... - 10.Sep.2008 9:28:45 AM   
uemurad

When the maximum file size is reached by ExMerge, it will simply stop writing messages to the file.  If you have logging enabled, you'll get an error for every subsequent message.  You can perform ExMerge with date ranges if you choose.  When you perform the imports, you'll have to rename each set because ExMerge doesn't let you choose the name of the export or import file.  It's always <mailboxalias>.pst.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to eriq35)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exmerge limits need help with HUGE mailbox export options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter