• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 11.Sep.2008 9:19:08 AM   
doctortt

I just took over the support of this exchange box. This box has two storage groups.  The transaction logs for one of the storage groups do not get flushed/purged after a full backup. However, the logs of the other storage group get flushed/purged without any problems. This company uses Arcserve. The admin checked the settings of the backup job, and everything was fine. There was only a single exchange backup job, and it contained both storage groups. I'm thinking the problem is not caused by the backup program. What else can it be? I guess I will have to follow the MS article to manually remove the logs. Moving forward, I really want to get this fixed for the client. I can't be manually removing the logs all the time, right? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 11.Sep.2008 9:39:50 AM   
uemurad

You've got some other issues going on with that mailbox store.  That isn't something to take lightly.  Something is causing the database not to be marking the log files as committed, so Arcserve isn't seeing any logs it can purge.  Manually deleting the log files at this point means you are running the risk of not being able to replay them later.

The simplest answer is to bite the bullet and call Microsoft PSS.  You can learn some things with ESEUTIL, but if you don't know exactly what you are doing, it's best not to experiment.  You're talking about your live data.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to doctortt)
Post #: 2
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 11.Sep.2008 12:01:18 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

as per uemurad said it is not best practice to play around unless and until you know the purpose what you are doing.

One time one of my client faced this issue - Root cause was log file corruption (i guess)
What i did there.
> Just i dismounted all the store of that particular storage group
> moved all the content except .stm and .edb
> then i checked the database (just to be on a safe side)
> Then mounted the database
> Finally i took online backup which has been resolved the issue.

May be you can try this before you call up the PSS

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 12.Sep.2008 1:52:49 PM   
doctortt

This storage group in question has a temporary mailbox store that's dismounted for awhile. Someone has told me that this causes the backup not to flush the logs afterward. I removed this dismounted temporary mailbox store and will see what happens to the backup tonight.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 4
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 12.Sep.2008 3:18:49 PM   
ismail.mohammed

Post the update

(in reply to doctortt)
Post #: 5
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 12.Sep.2008 5:53:46 PM   
uemurad

quote:

This storage group in question has a temporary mailbox store that's dismounted for awhile.
That's the issue.  Remember that transactional logs are for the entire Storage Group.  If you have one store in that group that's dismounted when the backup runs, or you don't backup all the stores in the group, then the transactional logs cannot fully commit and therefore cannot be marked to be purged.  You should also be seeing events in your Application Log about the purge or failure to purge.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to doctortt)
Post #: 6
RE: Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group - 22.Sep.2008 10:42:36 AM   
doctortt

Things look good now. I deleted the unmounted store, which this company no longer used. Ran a full backup, and the logs were flushed.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Transaction logs not flushing for one storage group Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter