• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

.OST files migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> .OST files migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
.OST files migration - 25.Sep.2008 5:16:13 PM   
STU1st

Hello Experts,

We are in the process of migrating our mailboxes (exchange 2003) from our remote site and centralizing them in our main data center which will be accessible through a WAN connection. At the same time we will be joining our local clients to the domain of our main data center. When this happens even if the maiboxes are migrated to the main data center, a new .OST file will be created when every user is disjoint from his current domain and joint to the domain of the main data center (since cached exchange mode is enabled). Now the problem is that we do not have mailbox size limits set for our local users, so recreation of an OST file for a user who has a 4 gb mailbox across an 8 mbps wan link will take ages. Is there a way.OST files can be migrated across to minimize the effort?
Post #: 1
RE: .OST files migration - 25.Sep.2008 6:30:42 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Actually, I /think/ that unless you're migrating AD accounts you don't need to do a migration. The OST file isn't tied to the local user account, it's tied to the mailbox which is attached to the AD account. The local users have to provide AD credentials so you don't have a problem.

But if you've tested this already and you do have a problem, let me know, because it's obviously working differently than I remember.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to STU1st)
Post #: 2
RE: .OST files migration - 5.Oct.2008 10:19:27 AM   
STU1st

As a matter of fact we are migrating AD accounts as well into our main domain at our main data center and thus the problem. Please advise. Thanks very much for your reply, appreciate your help.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: .OST files migration - 5.Oct.2008 10:47:11 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Steel thyself for some WAN traffic.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to STU1st)
Post #: 4
RE: .OST files migration - 5.Oct.2008 8:19:33 PM   
STU1st

But it would be unbearable to so with such a huge data over a relatively slow WAN link....any other workaround for this situation ??

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> .OST files migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter