• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size : Im stumped.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size : Im stumped. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message si... - 3.Oct.2008 1:29:33 PM   
x0rerror

Please help. Racking my brain on this one.

I cannot receive any file attachment at 20mb in my mailbox ( or anyone's for that matter )

I go into the user's limits settings and specify a maximum of 25 MB for myself yet keep getting a

552 5.3.4 Message
   size exceeds fixed maximum message size

NDR returned.

If i send a 15 MB file it comes through without issues.

below you will see my set limits. We are in a mixed exchange environment. 1 ex2k one ex2k3 and one e2k7.

Where could i possibly be missing the setting to allow the emails in?!?!?!?!

I've followed the How To set mail size etc for my org yet to no avail.

Org / Transport Config Settings
·         ClearCategories                : True
·         GenerateCopyOfDSNFor           : {5.4.8, 5.4.6, 5.4.4, 5.2.4, 5.2.0, 5.1.4}
·         InternalSMTPServers            : {-------}
·         JournalingReportNdrTo          : <>
·         MaxDumpsterSizePerStorageGroup : 18MB
·         MaxDumpsterTime                : 7.00:00:00
·         MaxReceiveSize                 : 25MB
·         MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit      : 1000
·         MaxSendSize                    : 25MB
·         TLSReceiveDomainSecureList     : {}
·         TLSSendDomainSecureList        : {}
·         VerifySecureSubmitEnabled      : False
·         VoicemailJournalingEnabled     : True
·         WritingBrandingInDSNEnabled    : True
·         Xexch50Enabled                 : True
----
Send Connectors:
Name           : My SMTP
·         MaxMessageSize : unlimited

Name           : Test x.x.x.x
·         MaxMessageSize : 21MB
---------------------------------------------

Receive Connectors:
Name                                    : Default EXCH2007
·         MaxInboundConnection                    : 5000
·         MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : unlimited
·         MaxInboundConnectionPercentagePerSource : 100
·         MaxHeaderSize                           : 64KB
·         MaxHopCount                             : 30
·         MaxLocalHopCount                        : 8
·         MaxLogonFailures                        : 3
·         MaxMessageSize                          : 25MB

·         MaxProtocolErrors                       : 5

·         MaxRecipientsPerMessage                 : 5000

--------
Name                                    : Client EXCH2007
·         MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : 100
·         MaxInboundConnectionPercentagePerSource : 2
·         MaxMessageSize                          : 25240KB
·         MaxRecipientsPerMessage                 : 200

Name                                    : Cluster
·         MaxInboundConnectionPerSource           : 20
·         MaxInboundConnectionPercentagePerSource : 2
·         MaxMessageSize                          : 10MB
·         MaxRecipientsPerMessage                 : 200

My ad sitelinks are set to unlimited.
I'm so stumped at the moment.

Please any and all help appreciated. I've exhausted the google search engine.

( edit: I just setup a TRANSPORT RULE to allow the greater than 15MB in but i still get the same NDR. )

< Message edited by x0rerror -- 3.Oct.2008 1:54:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 2:40:36 PM   
tmacdaddy

I just went through hellon this myself and ended up calling Microsoft.

Here is a results email after all was done and said and working.

Unable to receive attachments more than 10MB's

Assessment:
=========
- We sent some test emails with attachments of 20MB  from other organisations..
- We are getting NDR:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

mstest@xxxx.com <mailto:mstest@xxxx.com> on 9/19/2008 12:23 PM
This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again.
<tmxxxxxx.net #5.2.3 smtp;450 5.2.3 Msg Size greater than allowed by Remote Host>

- Sent a attachment of 9 MB from my side...
- It's delivered fine

- Checked the global settings on Exchange 2007
- We have unlimited set

- We gave permission as 100 MB
- Checked the receive connectors

- We have 3 Receive connectors.. (Client, Default, Internet)
- Checked the properties of Receive connector

- Only exchange server is given permission to receive emails with anonymous access
- We disabled the Internet receive connector

- Did get-receiveconnector -identity "Default Exchange1SVR" | fl
- Its showing max size as 40MB

- We changed the size using get-receiveconnector -identity "Default Exchange1SVR" -MaxMessageSize 100MB

- Restarted the Transport Service..
- Checked the mail flow.. now customer is able to receive emails with attachments more than 20MB's

- Issue Resolved

Meanwhile, if you need any further assistance pertaining to this case; please feel free to call me directly, I’ll be happy to assist you further.
Have a great day.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

REMEMBER to restart the Transport service

Tom McManus
Sr. Network Engineer

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 2
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 3:07:10 PM   
Exchange_Geek

both issues look similar.

< Message edited by Exchange_Geek -- 3.Oct.2008 3:17:54 PM >

(in reply to tmacdaddy)
Post #: 3
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 3:10:41 PM   
x0rerror

I see what your saying; yet i'm failing to see how it pertains to my situation.

I've followed the technet article 500 times the MSexchange.org article numerous times and a few other HOW TO: links i found on the net ( they are bookmarked if you would like to view them)

What relevance did disabling the Recieve anonymous from internet have to do with the mailsize?

According to my above Transport settings ETC... should i not be able to receive emails with at least a 20 mb attachment since my receive connectors have a max of 25 mb????

thanks again for your post; I'm sure i'm missing something I'll retry my steps but at attempt # 6 thousand and fifty one i'm pretty discouraged. thanks once again.

I can send a 20mb internally to my users.

Sending externally ( i.e gmail ) to internal recipients fails with a ndr size too big.

< Message edited by x0rerror -- 3.Oct.2008 3:15:24 PM >

(in reply to tmacdaddy)
Post #: 4
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 4:13:44 PM   
Draconis

I believe Google has a send/receive limitation.  (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=8770).  Are you sure google isnt the one telling you that you are going over their max size limitations?

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 5
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 4:28:25 PM   
x0rerror

quote:

ORIGINAL: Draconis

I believe Google has a send/receive limitation.  (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=8770).  Are you sure google isnt the one telling you that you are going over their max size limitations?

Draconis thanks so much for pointing that out. ( Good thing i wasn't trying to send 25mb files, and if i had it my way nobody here would send anything over 10mb )

Would an inheritance block somewhere in the AD tree perhaps prevent the settings to propagate to other objects ( this is just speculation ) i don't understand why the Get/Set commands are not acting on the values given which seem to be correct from my understanding. Again that's just a wild guess.

My boss just told me if i spend my weekend playing around trying to figure this out he will beat me up. I can't just let it sit. It bothers the hell out of me :(

I do believe though that the NDR returned is from my mail server.

------------

This is the mail system at host mail.myorg.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<Me@MyOrg.com>: host x.x.x.x[x.x.x.x] said: 552 5.3.4 Message
   size exceeds fixed maximum message size (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; Me@Myorg.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;Me@Myorg.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; x.x.x.x <- My mail server IP
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message
   size

---------------------------

< Message edited by x0rerror -- 3.Oct.2008 4:36:05 PM >

(in reply to Draconis)
Post #: 6
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 3.Oct.2008 4:56:15 PM   
Draconis

I've been trying to find a Microsoft article for you but I guess this will have to do (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Protocols/Application_Protocols/Email/SMTP/Q_23535191.html).  at the end of that, they note that [EMAIL_SIZE] X 1.25 = [ACTUAL_EMAILSIZE]

Unfortunately, with encoding and such, exact email sizes cant be set in stone.  If I were you, I would just set the connectors to 32-35MB to test.  If you were to send a 25MB email, it can be received as 25 x 1.25 = 31.25MB in size.  If it works, then that would probably be a good MAXLIMIT.

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 7
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 6.Oct.2008 10:25:52 AM   
x0rerror

Draconis;

Thanks for the link although they want my credit card # in order for the answer to be revealed;

Do you think you could copy and paste perhaps?

Guys; Do we have a consensus that my above initial setting look correct and should work?

thanks alot.

(in reply to Draconis)
Post #: 8
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 6.Oct.2008 12:49:11 PM   
Sembee

quote:

ORIGINAL: x0rerror

Draconis;

Thanks for the link although they want my credit card # in order for the answer to be revealed;

Lets put that Experts Exchange myth to bed...
If you sign up for a FREE account then you can view all of the answers. You do not need to pay anything. I have had an account on that site for five years and have never paid a penny. (I also have 21 million points, but that is another issue).

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP
Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
Web: http://www.amset.info/
In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/
Exchange Resources: http://exbpa.com/

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 9
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 6.Oct.2008 2:33:40 PM   
Draconis

Simon,

If you gave me a billion year head start, you'd still be ahead in points... :-)

x0rerror,

The link that I provided was just to give you a reference from somewhere and that I'm not pulling things out of my............hat.  Hopefully someone else can verify what I have stated since I cannot find a Microsoft article as a clincher.

(in reply to Sembee)
Post #: 10
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 6.Oct.2008 4:52:57 PM   
x0rerror

quote:

ORIGINAL: Draconis

x0rerror,

The link that I provided was just to give you a reference from somewhere and that I'm not pulling things out of my............hat.  Hopefully someone else can verify what I have stated since I cannot find a Microsoft article as a clincher.

It's all good I don't / didn't doubt your expertise, all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Although i still cannot create an account on exchange-experts; Sign up for free 7 day trial requires a cred card; if you see a way around it let me know maybe i clicked the wrong link but i'm 99.9% sure i can't just sign up for free without providing cred card.

(in reply to Draconis)
Post #: 11
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 6.Oct.2008 5:24:15 PM   
Sembee

quote:

ORIGINAL: x0rerror

Although i still cannot create an account on exchange-experts; Sign up for free 7 day trial requires a cred card; if you see a way around it let me know maybe i clicked the wrong link but i'm 99.9% sure i can't just sign up for free without providing cred card.

I haven't done the sign up for some time, but I can assure you that you can have access to the system without paying anything. Obviously they are going to try and sell you a subscription, as it is a business.

It is buried, it took me a few minutes to find it.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/registerFree2.jsp

I am going to blog that I think.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 12
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 8.Oct.2008 10:42:31 PM   
x0rerror

quote:

ORIGINAL: longman111

What are the size limit settings on the legacy exchange servers? I recall some issue like this when legacy exchange servers are still being used with exchange 2007.

The settings on the legacy servers are unchecked. I  believe i manually reset them also.

I also used adsi edit to clear the values to no avail.

this is mental. I checked experts-exchange but still no resolution. i went as far as receiving an 18mb mail. Doesn't make sense at all.
Post #: 13
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 9.Oct.2008 6:53:28 AM   
Exchange_Geek

quote:

this is mental. I checked experts-exchange but still no resolution. i went as far as receiving an 18mb mail. Doesn't make sense at all.

How about opening a case with Microsoft and passing on your tension to them ?

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 14
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 9.Oct.2008 3:14:54 PM   
x0rerror

(Simon tks for the ExpertExchange link)

Ok so here's the story apparently.

According to the Microsoft Tech;

You cannot have a differing MAXSendSize and MAXReceiveSize; as seen above in my original post. Once both values were set to the same amount; i.e. 35MB  my mail containing the 20MB attachment sent from an externl account was able to be received.

Kind of odd if you ask me that both send and receive must be the same size.

Now if i may ask:

I want all my users limited to being able to send and receive a maximum file size of 10 MB. (except for 1 'special' user.)

Is it necessary for me now to use Transport Rules, create a group with all my users and then limit it that way?

Or is there a connector / different place i can plug these values into to prevent my users from sending over 10 mb attachments, Yet allow 'certain' users with whom i specified thier send / receive sizes explicitly in their mailbox settings?

thanks alot guys.

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 15
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 9.Oct.2008 3:25:39 PM   
Exchange_Geek

Seems, Exchange 2007 hasn't left its shadows of Exchange 2003 way behind.

Read this: Should ring a bell.

" The Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 global message delivery options Sending message size and Receiving message size do not provide the functionality that you might expect based on their descriptions.
• The sending message size is the maximum size of both inbound and outbound messages that can be submitted to the message categorizer.
• The receiving message size is the maximum message size that the categorizer will process and deliver to the intended destination.
These settings do not specifically control inbound and outbound message size delivery for an organization. Both of these limits work in tandem to control the size of messages that the categorizer can process. Because of this, the smallest message size that is specified for either of these options effectively controls the maximum message size that Exchange can process for both incoming and outgoing messages on any server. These settings do not work independently from each other.
So, the lowest value specified for Inbound limits or Outbound limits will apply to both incoming and outgoing email. The two values are not independant.

Ref: Link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298572/en-us:

(in reply to x0rerror)
Post #: 16
RE: 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum messag... - 11.Oct.2008 2:55:02 PM   
Sembee

I have always worked to the same two principles.
1. The size of the message applies to both inside and outside. Having difference sizes makes no sense to me.
2. Most restrictive wins. So if you have a user who needs a higher limit then the global limits will have to increase and everyone else restricted down.

Simon.

Simon Butler,
Exchange MVP

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size : Im stumped. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter