• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Exchange 2k7 with Win 2k8?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Exchange 2k7 with Win 2k8? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Exchange ... - 9.Oct.2008 9:30:58 AM   
doctortt

We purchased TrendMicro for Scanmail and was installing it on Exchange 2007 with Windows Server 2008. During the installation, we noticed SQL 2005 express was installed locally on the box. We were like huh? We called support and found out that it was normal. Ok, so we asked whether we could move the local sql 2005 express database to a remote full blown sql server (then uninstall sql express on the local box), and the tech support gave us 5 pages steps for it.  We were like huh again - 5 PAGES of all these silly commands. Since we will be installing scanmail on a few Exchange 2007 servers, it meanns there will be a few sql instances. I asked whether we could consolidate them all into a single database on a full blown remote SQL server, and no, the software couldn't do it. You will have multiple instances on the full blown SQL box. We were like HUH one more time?  We're very disappointed with this software at this early stage of implementation.  In addition, you also need JAVA installed because of the web console. I hate hate hate hate JAVA and especially installing it on a mission critical box?

What do you guys think having SQL 2005 express on an Exchange server? 
Post #: 1
RE: Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Excha... - 29.Oct.2009 10:00:12 AM   
brianspooner

I know this is an old post...but I'm facing the same dilemma. Are there any instructions on how to install ScanMail with a remote sql database? I couldn't find any KB or guides on it from Trend Micro.

Also -- I plan to install this on our HUB/CAS server. Since all mail in E2k7 now has to flow through the HUB server, this should provide adequate security, no? I was hoping I could just put it on the HUB server and not worry about loading it on the SCC mailbox cluster directly.

So, assuming it is OK to just put it on the HUB server. Would the SQL 2005 express install on there be very bad? I mean I hate the idea of it in general...SQL on an Exchange Server...but I'm only considering it because it's not the mailbox role where I want to install it. Sounds like it's going to be a big hassle to get the DB on a remote SQL server.

Any thoughts or suggestions from other admins who have installed ScanMail 8 in their Exchange 2007 environments? Thx

(in reply to doctortt)
Post #: 2
RE: Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Excha... - 31.Oct.2009 2:05:40 PM   
korvix1

Thanks, helped alot

(in reply to brianspooner)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Huh? TrendMicro Scanmail needs SQL Express on Exchange 2k7 with Win 2k8? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter