• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 21.Oct.2008 12:19:35 PM   
pjhutch

I am getting 503 Service Unavailable on when trying to access Public Folders via OWA on ALL our Exchange 2003 SP2 and 2007 SP1 servers. Access to public folders via Outlook is fine. All services are running ok and all stores are mounted ok.

We have 2 FE servers on Exchange 2003 and 2 Client Access servers on Exchange 2007 each on their own NLB network.

If using owa on Exchange 2007, I do not get 'Public Folders' button in OWA but it shows on Exchange 2003 OWA.

Any ideas? The MS articles do not help.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield
Post #: 1
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 21.Oct.2008 1:14:16 PM   
Elan Shudnow

It sounds like you migrated your Public Folders to Exchange 2007 and replicas no longer exist on Exchange 2003.  If this is the case, then that is why.  Outlook referrals for mailboxes that exist on Exchange 2003 work just fine when the public folders exist in Exchange 2007.  When you require access to OWA through Exchange 2003, you need to keep replicas on your Exchange 2003 servers.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 2
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 4:07:38 AM   
pjhutch

Actually, I have replicated a copy of the Organisation Forms, Free/Busy system folders and a few Public Folders but I did leave the original servers on the list of replicas.

I have noticed that if I type http://server/public it works ok, if I try https://server/public I get a 'Internet Explorer cannot display this page' and if I try via the Front End servers I get 503 Service Unavailable. I wonder if the SSL stuff is stopping it?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 3
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 5:07:25 AM   
Exchange_Geek

quote:

I have noticed that if I type http://server/public it works ok, if I try https://server/public I get a 'Internet Explorer cannot display this page' and if I try via the Front End servers I get 503 Service Unavailable.

That's odd since every exchange related V.Dir has the "Require SSL" and 128-bit encryption check box checked by default. You may want to check that and later try to work with https://server/public once more.

By the way - just to confirm that we are working with E2k7SP1 correct ?? Since, i had read some time back E2k7 RTM never gave option for PF access from OWA.

As per MSFT documentation
"Users must connect to the /Public virtual directory to view public folders. Public folders are not available through the URL that is used to log on to an Exchange mailbox by using Outlook Web Access "
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998849(EXCHG.80).aspx

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 4
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 5:26:14 AM   
pjhutch

I have found it works on one FE server but not the other FE server.

Yes, we are using Exchange 2007 SP1 for PF access although OWA does not show a button for it.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 5
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 7:29:00 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Could you please check the directory setting setting for ExAdmin and Public Folder V.Dir on both FE servers

Thanks.

Also, could you please check the box for SSL on E2k7 box.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 6
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 8:11:12 AM   
pjhutch

FE 1
Exadmin = \\.\BackOfficeStorage
Public = \\.\BackOfficeStorage\hud.ac.uk\Public Folders

FE 2
ExAdmin = \\.\BackOfficeStorage
Public = \\.\BackOfficeStorage\hud.ac.uk\Public Folders

SSL is set on Exchange 2007 on: Autodiscover, EWS, Exchange, Exchweb, IIsadmpwd, Microsoft-Server-Activesync, owa, public and Unified Messaging
virt dirs

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 7
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 8:34:28 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Peter, that was a typo

quote:

directory setting setting for ExAdmin and Public Folder V.Dir on both FE

I mean directory security settings

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 8
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 22.Oct.2008 8:57:35 AM   
pjhutch

FE 1:
Exdmin:
Auth: Integrated Windows
IP: All granted
Req. secure channel: Yes
128 bit encryption: Yes

Public:
Auth: Basic Authentication

FE 2:
Exdmin:
Auth: Integrated Windows

Public:
Auth: Basic Authentication

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 9
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 23.Oct.2008 8:12:29 AM   
pjhutch

Right, I managed to get Public folders working in OWA on Exchange 2003 but re-applying the inherited rights on the Mailbox store on the Front End servers (as recommended by Best Practises Analyzer).

Now, I still get the error message on OWA on Exchange 2007 and I still have to manually open a new tab or window to try to get to Public folders. Is there any way to add the 'Public Folders' button to OWA and remove the 'Documents' button?

Also, is there anything equivalent to OMA on Exchange 2007 SP1?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 10
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 23.Oct.2008 9:23:15 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Outlook Mobile Access In Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003, users who had WAP-enabled cellular telephones could access their messages by using Outlook Mobile Access. Outlook Mobile Access provided a view of messages that resembled Outlook Web Access, but did not require that Pocket Internet Explorer be used on a mobile device. This feature has been removed from Exchange 2007. If your information workers depend on Outlook Mobile Access when they are away from their desks, you must determine whether Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Web Access will meet their needs. In particular, you should research the cost of purchasing devices that are enabled for Exchange ActiveSync and that have unlimited data plans. Exchange ActiveSync uses Direct Push to synchronize messages between the mobile device and the Exchange 2007 server. The HTTPS connection between the Exchange server and the mobile device requires repeated data transfers, so we recommend an unlimited data plan. In addition to purchasing devices and data plans, you should also consider whether your users will require additional training to learn how to use their new devices.

Ref Link

OWA should be visible from outside / inside - Try working with auth diag tool and verify from the affected FE server - now, since both FE server and E2k7 both have SSL - using http://server/public shouldn't work at all.

PF access on OWA as per link

"New in Exchange Server 2007 SP1
Public Folders is fully supported in Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and offers the following features:
  • Full access to Public Folders from Outlook Web Access without having to use the /public virtual directory
  • Full access to Public Folders on Exchange 2007 Mailbox servers without having to keep an Exchange 2003 mailbox server available for Public Folder access from Outlook Web Access.
  • Public folders on an Exchange 2003 mailbox server are still available to Exchange 2007 mailboxes through Outlook Web Access.
"

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 11
RE: Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable - 23.Oct.2008 9:40:33 AM   
pjhutch

Thanks.

I fixed it, it turned out I had two Public Folder trees of MAPI (you can only have one in a Exchange org), I changed the Public Folder msExchFPTreeType in the Exchange 2007 Admin group from 1 to 0 and now the Public Folders appear in OWA. Yes....!

I don't think OMA is used that often but I needed to ask.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access >> Public Folders: 403 Service Unavailable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter