• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 fails to start

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2007 fails to start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 fails to start - 24.Oct.2008 2:08:38 PM   
andrew_aj1

I have two Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers both running Windows Server 2008 Standard x64. Server1 is a domain controller, global catalog, and DNS. Server2 Is running Exchange 2007. The issue that I am having is that the System Attendant and Information Store services will fail to start if the exchange server starts before the domain controller. When this happens I receive the following errors in the event viewer on the exchange server.
---------------------------------------------------
Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchange ADAccess
Event ID:      2104
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=1588). None of the domain controllers in the domain are responding. This event can occur if the domain controllers in local or all domains become unreachable because of network problems. Use the Ping or PathPing command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers. Run the Dcdiag command line tool to test domain controller health.
Event ID:      2120
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=1588). Error ERROR_TIMEOUT (0x800705b4) occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain **********
 The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.**********
. The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

. Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.
 For information about correcting this problem,  type in the command line:
hh tcpip.chm::/sag_DNS_tro_dcLocator_messageB.htm
Event ID:      2501
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1588). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=HrSearch Error code=80040a01. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.
Source:        MSExchangeIS
Event ID:      1121
Error 0x96f connecting to the Microsoft Active Directory.
Source:        MSExchangeIS
Event ID:      5000
Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.   - Error 0x96f.

This only happens when the exchange server starts before the domain controller. I can solve this issue by restarting the exchange server or manually starting the services, but Iím looking for a solution that will do this automatically for me. I have tried setting the recovery options for all failure to restart the service, but this did not work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 fails to start - 24.Oct.2008 4:23:47 PM   
Naddy

Hi,

These events are Self Explanatory, when ever you restart your Exchange server it queries to you Global Catalog server which is also a domain controller for authentications. I did'nt understood that you get this events when Exchange server restarts before Domain controller.......why do you need to resart Domian controller? or do you restart your Exchange server and the Domain controller frequently...?

Have a look at these articles:-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb218598(EXCHG.80).aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb217575(EXCHG.80).aspx

(in reply to andrew_aj1)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2007 fails to start - 24.Oct.2008 4:35:33 PM   
andrew_aj1

I donít plan to be restarting these computers often, but there may be times where they will need to be restarted such as when they receive automatic updates or recover from a power failure. Everything else will come up fine besides the exchange server. If I can find a way to make these services wait for the domain controller to be fully available before they execute should solve the problem. Also to be able to make them do the same if communication between the exchange server and domain controller is lost.
Iím sure there are plenty of environments out there that just have a single DC with an exchange server. so there must be a solution to this issue.

(in reply to Naddy)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2007 fails to start - 24.Oct.2008 5:29:44 PM   
Naddy

Here as a simple Answer to this Question will clear all your doubts by yourself:
Would you be able to install Exchange without a Domain Controller?
Anyways if the only concern are those services giving errors in the Event Log then I would suggest you to Stop & Disable all the Exchange Services before restarting the DC

(in reply to andrew_aj1)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Exchange 2007 fails to start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter