• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 29.Oct.2008 6:46:05 PM   
josh

Here arise one question from my mind?

If i have Windows 2000 environment where the Forest Functional Level is 2000 Native and I have 30 Child Domains
Now I want to install Exchange 2007 in the Root Domain by introducing Windows 2003 SP2 DC / GC
Now I have a question that if I have not raised the domain functional level of my child domain and if it is on Windows 2000 Native with no Exchange in any of the child domains >>> Will I be able to create mailboxes for the users in the child domain which will be homed on the Exchange 2007 Server in the Root Domain

Will /preparealldomain work if I run it from the Win 2k3 DC in the root domain and will it prepare all the child domains so that they know that there is any exchange 2007 Server in the root and be able to home the mailboxes on that server ?

Again I am not having Win 2k3 Server in the child domains

< Message edited by josh -- 29.Oct.2008 7:35:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 30.Oct.2008 4:11:40 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

See this link:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/07/30/446579.aspx

With Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1, this behavior will change. When Exchange 2007 SP 1 setup is run, it will be allowed to proceed even if it finds no suitable domain controller in other domains. SP1 setup will require a Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 DC/GC in the domain that setup is being executed from, but all other domains are not going to be checked for this requirement. You will however need to ensure that you have at least one Windows 2003 SP 1 DC/GC in every domain that needs to be prepared for Exchange 2007 SP1 at the later time (in other words - if you need to run the Exchange 2007 /preparedomain setup switch). All other domains could contain only Windows 2000 DCs/GCs.

And very important is please see the comments in the above link

(in reply to josh)
Post #: 2
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 30.Oct.2008 4:24:41 AM   
Exchange_Geek

quote:

Will /preparealldomain work if I run it from the Win 2k3 DC in the root domain and will it prepare all the child domains so that they know that there is any exchange 2007 Server in the root and be able to home the mailboxes on that server ?

If you would be preparing your own domain with W2k3SP1 DC - it will work - however MSFT has clearly stated that to use E2k7 functionality in any domain - you have to have atleast 1 W2k3SP1. So my bet on this one - It wont work .

I'l try to see if i can find a documentation to support what i just said - of course you might have time to implement this in your environment, so hang on for some time before you jump in for installation.

(in reply to josh)
Post #: 3
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 30.Oct.2008 5:45:50 AM   
Exchange_Geek

@ismail:

I guess you mis-read the thoughts of josh.

quote:

Will I be able to create mailboxes for the users in the child domain which will be homed on the Exchange 2007 Server in the Root Domain

Question isn't about can we install - it is more on the lines of recipient management rather than installation and setup.

So, the part that explains about setup seemed out-of-scope for this question.

quote:

With Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1, this behavior will change. When Exchange 2007 SP 1 setup is run, it will be allowed to proceed even if it finds no suitable domain controller in other domains. SP1 setup will require a Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 DC/GC in the domain that setup is being executed from, but all other domains are not going to be checked for this requirement

Also, i agree on your part of the story for having at least 1 Win2k3SP1 in all domains for recipient management - my 2 cents for that

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 4
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 30.Oct.2008 12:30:36 PM   
josh

Thank you guys for all your answers..

I went through this link yesterday
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

but was confused whether /preparealldomain will run for all the child domains if ran from the root domain and I would be able to get the user mailboxes homed on the Exchange Server 2007 SP1 in the root domain but I am now sure that we need to have win2k3 SP1 DC / GC in each child domain where we need to create mailboxes for the users.

Thank you very much for your inputs..

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 5
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 30.Oct.2008 8:00:50 PM   
Elan Shudnow

The prep commands that are targeted for all domains (/preparealldomains and /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions) will go through each domain and try to locate the 2003 SP1+ DC.  If it doesn't find this, it will let you know but will still go through and prepare other domains successfully if they are contactable and they meet the requirements.

Give the following document a read:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125224(EXCHG.80).aspx

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to josh)
Post #: 6
RE: Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain - 12.Nov.2008 7:41:07 PM   
tusharnextgen

Hello All,

I agree with the fact that we can install exchange 2007 in root domain if we have atleast 1 domain controller with w2k3sp1 dc/gc and also schema master should be in the same site.

But Question here is whether users from another domain (i.e. child domain) can have mailbox on exchange 2007 or not if we need to create it how to go about it?

If I understand it correctly we must run setup /preparedomain on each domain where we need to have mailboxes for the receipient on the exchange 2007 server. (Note : remember that child domain must be running with atleast windows 2000 native domain functionality/ atleast 1 dc should be W2k3sp1)

Hope this helps

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Want to create mailboxes of user in Child Domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter