• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Taking over another companies email

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Taking over another companies email Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taking over another companies email - 11.Nov.2008 10:21:09 AM   
stevenjwilliams83

I have Company A running exchange server 2007, Company A is buying Company B.  All Company B's email needs to be sent to Company A's email server from this moment on.  Does Comapny B's domain name need to be added to the accepted domain's for this to work?  Obviously I would change the MX record to point to Company A's firewall.  But is it that easy?

And also rather than excepting all mail from an IP address in the anti-spam filter settings, can I just allow a whole Domain to be recieved or a certain email address to be allowed, I think you can, but I cant get it to work correctly?  The email is being forwarded to my exchange server from another mail server running argosoft.  I set up exchange to allow all email from the IP of the argosoft mail server, but the problem is....it doesn't filter that email being accepted with anti-spam tools.  Ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Taking over another companies email - 14.Nov.2008 9:43:48 PM   
Elan Shudnow

Make sure that before you change MX record to CompanyA, you created the e-mail address policy as well as the Accepted Domain. And make sure those mailboxes exist on CompanyA whether that's through migration or just creating a new mailbox for these users and exporting and importing PST data, etc...  If you don't have this stuff done, your mail server won't accept any mail for this domain regardless if you allowed the IP address of your SMTP appliance to the IP Allow List.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to stevenjwilliams83)
Post #: 2
RE: Taking over another companies email - 17.Nov.2008 9:44:51 AM   
stevenjwilliams83

what if i have some users that need both company A and Company B mail?  I dont have to create two mailboxes correct?  I can just add an additonal SMTP address in AD right?

Post #: 3
RE: Taking over another companies email - 17.Nov.2008 10:01:44 AM   
Elan Shudnow

Correct.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

Post #: 4
RE: Taking over another companies email - 18.Nov.2008 11:29:00 AM   
stevenjwilliams83

Do I need to create a email policy?  Can't I just add the SMTP domain name to the accepted domain tab, then add the smtp address to the users email address tab and change the MX record and everything works?  I tried the email policy thing but i wants to assign all users an email address of the new SMTP email domain name.  I dont want that, I just need about 5 users to have the new SMTP address.

Post #: 5
RE: Taking over another companies email - 18.Nov.2008 12:31:30 PM   
Draconis

Modify either the Company Name or Custom attribute for each of those 5 users.  Create a new email address policy and filter for the value.

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Taking over another companies email Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter