• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 23.Nov.2008 11:22:57 PM   
bwad

Hi, I have SBS 2008 which was migrated from our inhouse SBS 2003 system as a trial before we start impelenting this in the wild. All went relatively smoothly, however today a service refuses to start and it's related to Exchange 2007.

I have tried to find how to do a repair installation of Exchange, and I have looked all over the DVD to find where I could get a copy of the service .EXE file that Windows is reporting as corrupt when trying to start.

The message I am getting is that this is not a valid Win32 executable.

msexchangemailsubmission.exe is the filename of the service that wont start.

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you.
Brad.

Post #: 1
RE: Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 24.Nov.2008 1:24:28 AM   
Exchange_Geek

First of all you cannot "repair"a corrupt service, secondly the service never goes corrupt.

Now, to help you better - please paste the exact screenshot of what error you are getting and explain us when you are getting that problem.

It would be great, if you could also paste the information from application and system logs (at the time the above errors are seen).

Thanks.

(in reply to bwad)
Post #: 2
RE: Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 24.Nov.2008 2:01:04 AM   
bwad

Hi, I wasn't very clear in my original post and I apologise. 

The Microsoft Exchange Mail Submission service would not start and the event log gave a generic error stating the MSEXHANGEMAILSUBMISSION.EXE file was "not a valid Win32 application".

I tried starting this from a command line and got the same error, so figured the actual file was corrupt/damaged.

Normally under SBS/Exchange 2003 I could quite easily find the file on the CD/DVD or do a reinstall in Add/Remove programs.

I just could not find the file on the CD (I suspect this is an SBS 2008 thing, there is no Exchange folder and the folder structure is quite confusing), nor could I do a repair/reinstall of Exchange.

In the end, I had to download the trial version of Exchange 2007 SP1 from Microsoft's site (900MB) and I found the file in there.

I replaced the corrupt file on my SBS 2008 server, and now the service starts and mail is again flowing.

If you or anyone knows a better way to resolve this (ala 2003 methods mentioned above) I would love to know.

Thanks
Brad.

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 3
RE: Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 24.Nov.2008 2:14:47 AM   
Exchange_Geek

Well, i would never jump to do that, since what you have copied across may be a version higher than what is on the box and it may cause problems with dll functionalities.

With regards to E2k3 - the mantra was to copy "similar" version file from SP2 or Exchange RTM CD.

In this case, I would normally re-apply the last update and that should be good enough.

(in reply to bwad)
Post #: 4
RE: Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 24.Nov.2008 2:23:58 AM   
bwad

Yes that was my thoughts too however since SBS 2008 was only released a couple of weeks ago, most udpates including Exch 2007 SP1 are already rolled up into the install.

I checked the file versions and they matched, however the file size was different. I'm putting that down to 'corruption' for now. Since this isnt on a real full scale production system and only in house I'm happy to see how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions.

(in reply to Exchange_Geek)
Post #: 5
RE: Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? - 7.Dec.2008 11:03:55 PM   
IghNstealthy

I have unfortunately, and figured id atleast post something, to try and save me lots of cash. Basically, I started up my cpu, the other day, and I get this Services.exe deal.. its the umpnmngr.dll I think thats it exactly, but yeah its something like that.. I have tried re-install of xp, and am usin avg, to scan for whatever.. It's really bad,  I have no network connections to speak of, can't get the internet with it,  and cant open any progams, except like my cpu & documents and such... but no Mozilla, no WMP, no games, nothin, on top of that, it takes a longgg, time to get to the desktop screen, but yeah when I do that's all I can do, and sadly no connection to any internet source, thus why im on my laptop.. save me money! I just bought M-Audio to start makin my own sounds, but now im let down by the failure of my cpu. 

(in reply to bwad)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Corrupt service .exe, how do I repair installation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter