• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public Folder replication

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public Folder replication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public Folder replication - 24.Nov.2008 3:24:21 PM   
Xaneth

We have installed a new E2K3 cluster and I'm trying to migrate the public folders and system folders so I can de commission the old server.  Nothing but trouble.  Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Followed the M$ article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931 and added my new server as a replica and managed the setting to overwrite the replica and replica schedule
  • Tried using pfMigrate and got the following in the log:
  • Analysis of 0 folders with replica on 'sourceserver' completed.

0    folders without replica on 'destserver'.
    The analysis was limited by the /n parameter.
    No folders were affected by the requested change.
  • Enabled diagnostics logging for MSExchangeIS/Public Folder as per this article, http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Public-Folder-Replication-Troubleshooting.html.  I am seeing PF replication on the source server, since it has a rep partner in Korea (another Exchange server we have there), but no PF activity on the new cluster what so ever.
I thought this was supposed to be simple, and I've done it in the past, but I could really use some assist, have no idea what is going on.  At this point, I cannot "manage settings..." I get the error:

Post #: 1
RE: Public Folder replication - 24.Nov.2008 3:39:21 PM   
Xaneth

Answered my own question about the last item, I had taken the last information store that housed the system mailbox offline.  Bringing it up is allowing me to get to public folder properties, etc.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 2
RE: Public Folder replication - 24.Nov.2008 6:55:35 PM   
Xaneth

I've also verified the cluster network name resource.  The one thing is, we used to have an Exchange server in our environment with the same name, but it was removed (properly I can only assume), and I don't see any remnants of it in DNS or AD.  Can't move replicas, or otherwise.  Looking at event logs, we are seeing some Kerberos errors with the cluster name resource, but it has "Enable Kerberos Auth" checked and has a successful status of 0.  No duplicate names that we are seeing:

The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/CLUSTERNODE.domain.com.  The target name used was DESTINATIONMAILSERVER. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named  machine accounts in the target realm (DOMAIN.COM), and the client realm.   Please contact your system administrator.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 3
RE: Public Folder replication - 25.Nov.2008 2:43:20 AM   
NileshS

I am a bit confused about what the existing problem is...can you please let me know about the same?

I am assuming that the initial problem has been resolved and now you arent able to move the replicas. Is that correct?

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 4
RE: Public Folder replication - 25.Nov.2008 3:08:01 AM   
Xaneth

No, not resolved. Unable to replicate or move the PF's. Checked message tracking between the two PF email addresses, and they are only sending status requests, no backfills are taking place.

(in reply to NileshS)
Post #: 5
RE: Public Folder replication - 25.Nov.2008 5:09:14 AM   
NileshS

Ok. So the issue is even after you used PFMigrate to replicate the Public folders; they havent replicated yet.

To be honest, I hate this PFMigrate script. :P And thats why prefer to do it manually.

Anyways, the first thing I would check when PF replication isnt happening is whether its only Content which isnt replicating or if its both content and heirarchy. Double-check the replica settings and make sure its set to Urgent and Always.

If its both, then I would check for mailflow between the two servers. If that is working fine, check if the proxy address have been stamped on the PF stores.

Further make sure that there are no smart host set on the default SMTP VS. Also check for any AV or Anti-spam that may be blocking the PF replication messages.

You can also use PFDAVADMIN tools and remove the item-level permissions if any and fix the DACL state.

Further you can also add the server account of the source server on the PF stores and give it the "Send as" and "Receive as" rights. After this try restarting the IS Services on both the servers.

Check to see if the above actions help to resolve the issue.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 6
RE: Public Folder replication - 25.Nov.2008 12:12:19 PM   
Xaneth

Yes, I've tried both adding the replica through ESM and replicating that way, but have not set it to "always" and "urgent".  PFMigrate did nothing for me for sure.

As I mentioned in the above post, I determined that status messages are flowing between the PF's proxy addresses, which I also verified through adsiedit.  But only status messages, no hierarchy backfill is taking place or anything.

Previously I did have smart hosts on, but that was one of the first things I turned off, since I saw that could cause issues.  Also checked my Symantec Information Foundation Mail Security and nothing from either PF proxy address is in the quarantine, so AV is not blocking.

I'll have to look at the PFDAVADMIN tools you mentioned as well as permissions.  At this point, I've been asked to put a call in to M$ since it's urgent and needs to be wrapped up before turkey day.  Since I'm an MSDN account holder, I do have 4 free incidents I can use, so I'll have to burn one.

(in reply to NileshS)
Post #: 7
RE: Public Folder replication - 25.Nov.2008 6:10:23 PM   
Xaneth

Thanks a lot for the input.  Our clustered network name was not part of the Exchange Domain Computers group, and there were permission issues we had to sort out.  Turns out you were spot on.  After adding the source servers to the public folder store's security with send as rights, we received the hierarchy, and then content started replicating as well.

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 8
RE: Public Folder replication - 26.Nov.2008 1:06:04 AM   
NileshS

Glad could point you in the right direction! ;)

(in reply to Xaneth)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public Folder replication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter