• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working - 24.Nov.2008 11:14:47 PM   
RobW

I am having a real problem on my company server.  I have installed Small Business Server 2008.  I bought the latest Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Advanced v5.1 released on the 12th of November.  It is SBS 2008 compatible.

In Trend, my SMTP notifications do not work.  I defined the SMTP server and the port - nothing sent out.  Any ideas?  From within a command window I can telnet into Server1 on port 24 and the SMTP server answers.

I have logged in as both the default domain user and the administrator.  I do not receive any Trend notifications.  Any suggestions where to start?
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working - 25.Nov.2008 12:09:11 AM   
Elan Shudnow

Does it allow you to authenticate as a Mailbox Enabled User?  If so, set the Trend program to authenticate as a mailbox so it is given permissions to relay. Otherwise you'll need to configure Anonymous Relaying. You can read my guide for that below:
http://www.shudnow.net/2008/08/21/how-anonymous-relay-works-in-exchange-2007/

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working - 25.Nov.2008 6:38:40 AM   
RobW

Elan, thank you for the quick response.  I think the answer is "no" it does not enable me to authenticate a a Mailbox Enabled User.  Where I draw this conclusion, out of desparation I installed Windows Mail on the SBS Server and neither the default domain user or the administrator can authenticate to the server in Windows Mail.  The POP service and IMAP service were started prior to this.

I read the link and was not sure how it applied to my situation.  So I want to configure the SBS server to relay through itself?

I am concerned that I will run into the same problems with Backup Exec not being able to send notifications too once I get that installed.  In advance, I appreciate your assistance.

Rob

< Message edited by RobW -- 25.Nov.2008 6:40:17 AM >

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working - 25.Nov.2008 11:53:30 AM   
Elan Shudnow

I know it sounds a bit weird configuring relaying onto itself.  I've never tried it as I've only ever set up SMTP notifications using an authenticated account or via relaying from another server.  But if you think about it, it's using the same IP but it's an entirely different application that Exchange doesn't know about.  So you'd still probably have to configure relaying since it's not authenticating.

The Trend documentation must have something on this since it's for SBS and it all goes on the same server.  Or you can contact them.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working - 25.Nov.2008 8:32:51 PM   
RobW

Update:

I have configured anonymous relay and taken 'tls' off of basic authentication and now Trend spits out reports and notification but now I have encountered a related problem.

My domain account name is robwalker so my internal e-mail address is robwalker@domain.local.  My default external e-mail address is rob@domain.com and my recipient policy also assigns me robwalker@domain.com .

If anyone (including Trend Worry-Free) tries to e-mail me internally with my default e-mail address rob@domain.com, Exchange bounces it and sends an NDR "the recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system'.  If someone internally e-mails me using robwalker@domain.com, then I receive the e-mail.  It seems Exchange is too dumb to route 'rob' but not 'robwalker'.

Is this fixable?  Thanks.

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> SMTP notifications from Trend Micro not working Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter