• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SBS 2003 CALs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> SBS 2003 CALs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SBS 2003 CALs - 25.Nov.2008 12:54:16 AM   
LostyJai

Hey,

Can someone please explain to me how CALs work? What is the difference between a user and device CAL?

Say I have 2 users... They both have their own mailbox (A and B) and use a shared one (C) aswell. Do I only need 2 CALs (one for each user)? or 4 CALs (1 CAL per mailbox access)?

If I buy a 5 CAL pack (which apparently is for standard edition), would I be able to install it on SBS 2003 Premium Edition?

Can someone please help me shine some light?
Post #: 1
RE: SBS 2003 CALs - 29.Nov.2008 1:37:30 PM   
lars.hald@email.dk

Hi

The CAL is "the right to connect to a server".

A user CAL means that every user has a CAL, and can connect to the server from as many devices he or she wants. If you have users with both desktop, laptob and phone the most economical solution would be to choose user CALs

A device CAL gives the particular device rights to access the server, regardless of how many people use the particular device. If you have a "cafe" environment where many users share a few devices the most economical solution would be to choose device CALs.

If you have 2 users, an use pr. user CALs you would need only 2 CALs.

Id do not know if there are different CAL packs for standard and premium editions.

Hope this helps.

\Lars

(in reply to LostyJai)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> SBS 2003 CALs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter