• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot send to outside contacts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Cannot send to outside contacts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 9:58:16 AM   
texas44

I have a sql server that is trying to send an email to a distro group. the distro group contains both outside contacts and internal email addresses. The mail gets delivered to the internal addresses, but not the outside contacts. The NDR comes back with a permission denied, and specifies that the senders domain is invalid. Can someone help? thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 10:08:08 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Sounds like you're allowing submission but not relaying. For any system/user to be able to send a message through Exchange to an address outside your organization you need to allow relaying.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 10:44:24 AM   
texas44

I have granted access in relay restrictions for the sql servers IP address in the SMTP virtual server properties but it is still not working.

here is the NDR I recieve:

<removed> on 12/5/2008 9:41 AM
            You do not have permission to send to this recipient.  For assistance, contact your system administrator.
            <mail.<removed>.net #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 This message has been blocked because the return email domain is invalid.(domain name   has invalid syntax)>

the error leads me to believe that the domain name is blank... Im not sure if this is an issue.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 10:49:40 AM   
uemurad

Is the sending address in the messages from the SQL server valid?  Double check the sending mechanism to make sure there are no extraneous or missing characters in the domain name.

Technically it's not necessary, but sometimes in cases like this I'll set up a mailbox and have the application use the reply address so that any NDRs show up there.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:00:49 AM   
texas44

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

I actually have the sending address as my account for now so I get the NDRs.

this is how I have the relay set up, it is the 10.1.4.111 address

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:12:02 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Is that on your FE or don't you have an FE?

List Moderator

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:12:36 AM   
texas44

I should also mention that if I send an email to the disrto group from outlook using my account that it works as expected with the outside contacts receiving the mail.

this is the XML config from the SQL server:

<Extension Name="Report Server Email" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider,ReportingServicesEmailDeliveryProvider">
                                               <MaxRetries>3</MaxRetries>
                                               <SecondsBeforeRetry>900</SecondsBeforeRetry>
                                               <Configuration>
                                                           <RSEmailDPConfiguration>
                                                                       <SMTPServer>10.1.4.177</SMTPServer>
                                                                       <SMTPServerPort>25</SMTPServerPort>
                                                                       <SMTPAccountName>BI_Reports@<removed>.net</SMTPAccountName>
                                                                       <SMTPConnectionTimeout></SMTPConnectionTimeout>
                                                                       <SMTPServerPickupDirectory></SMTPServerPickupDirectory>
                                                                       <SMTPUseSSL></SMTPUseSSL>
                                                                       <SendUsing>2</SendUsing>
                                                                       <SMTPAuthenticate>0</SMTPAuthenticate>
                                                                       <From>sdaniels@<removed>.net</From>
                                                                       <EmbeddedRenderFormats>
                                                                                   <RenderingExtension>MHTML</RenderingExtension>
                                                                       </EmbeddedRenderFormats>
                                                                       <PrivilegedUserRenderFormats></PrivilegedUserRenderFormats>
                                                                       <ExcludedRenderFormats>
                                                                                   <RenderingExtension>HTMLOWC</RenderingExtension>
                                                                                   <RenderingExtension>NULL</RenderingExtension>
                                                                                   <RenderingExtension>RGDI</RenderingExtension>
                                                                       </ExcludedRenderFormats>
                                                                       <SendEmailToUserAlias>True</SendEmailToUserAlias>
                                                                       <DefaultHostName></DefaultHostName>
                                                                       <PermittedHosts></PermittedHosts>
                                                           </RSEmailDPConfiguration>
                                               </Configuration>
                                   </Extension>

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:13:15 AM   
texas44

No FE, just the 1 server.

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:20:10 AM   
texas44

This may or may not be helpful:

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 9
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 11:59:42 AM   
uemurad

Please perform the following two tests:

1.  Using your SQL server, send a message from your address to a single outside address.

2.  From your SQL server, use Telnet to create/send a message from your address to the distribution list.

Post the results.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 10
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 12:13:07 PM   
texas44

Odd, both of your tests were successful.  what does this mean?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 11
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 12:25:05 PM   
uemurad

It seems that something in your SQL procedure is amiss.
Can you reconfigure the "real" message to make sure everything is good?
When the "real" message goes out, is it just a message, or are attachments involved?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 12
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 12:33:26 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Yup, the status messages coming through do seem to indicate that some element of the domain is either being added to or being omitted.

List Moderator

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 13
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 1:38:56 PM   
texas44

Attachments are involved, yes. It is sending a daily .xls reprot

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 14
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 4:44:42 PM   
uemurad

I'm with Mark - based on everything you've told us so far, I believe there is something about the way the sending address is added into the outbound message that is not correct.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to texas44)
Post #: 15
RE: Cannot send to outside contacts - 5.Dec.2008 4:48:45 PM   
texas44

Thanks for all your help, you were right in pointing to the SQL server as the source of the problem. Apparently there is a "sent from" field that the DBA needed to fill out on some web interface for the reports mail settings (I believe it was called a subscription), once he set this field the mail made it to its destination.

Thanks again for all your help.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Cannot send to outside contacts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter