• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST - 11.Dec.2008 7:36:30 AM   
nookie

Our company has merged and the new company is moving forward with Lotus Notes - I would like to know (as their IT plan is to turn off all Exchange servers) what is my best approach to ensuring I can still view old emails, contacts, etc - SHould I use an OST or PST file (I'm not sure what the plans are for the desktop environment)
Post #: 1
RE: Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST - 11.Dec.2008 7:49:15 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Wow, someone moving onto Notes. A rare breed these days. Anyway, the option to use OST files is not available to you. You will have to export out to PST files.

Is there some tool on offer from IBM to get the old data into NSF files?

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to nookie)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST - 11.Dec.2008 7:52:23 AM   
nookie

Thanks for such a prompt reply - I know there are tools but the company has decided for cost reasons that they are not migrating over any exchange info (the company that purchased us is much larger and 100% Notes with many Notes applications, hence the move)

Why isn't OST available to me as an option - BTW not really IT but want to make sure I can still access stuff

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST - 11.Dec.2008 8:01:42 AM   
mark@mvps.org

The OST is tied to an Exchange (AD actually) account & mailbox. Once Exchange has gone you can use the data in the OST but it can only be used with Outlook and cannot be taken to another PC unless that PC was previously configured for that account. The OST is not a 'transportable' medium in the same way that a PST file is.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to nookie)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST - 11.Dec.2008 8:06:19 AM   
nookie

That makes a lot of sense. What prompted this was the IT group of the new company which is Notes experienced said the plan was to turn off all exchange servers (I believe they also mentioned changing the Exchange client I have to ensure it is cached??) so it will work without the servers and that we needed to create PSTs so my Exchange client can still access old email as they have no plans on migrating or enabling notes to read exchange files and I just wanted to validate their plans

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Moving to Lotus Notes - Which is better PST or OST Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter