• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3 - 29.Dec.2008 6:31:50 PM   
stevenjwilliams83

I have a user that needs to get email to his blackberry without using BES. I am not spending money on behalf of one user. I have a few questions, I have never configured IMAP or POP...I have IMAP enabled and running for a phone system we have...it only uses IMAP internally to sent voicemails to peoples inboxes from the voicemail server.  What things do I need to do to get this to work for the blackberry?  I have opened all POP and IMAP ports (both regualer and secure) on ISA and mapped them to my exchange server.  Do i need to do anything DNS wise for either POP or IMAP?  Like pop.mydomain.com?  I have a SSL cert for that includes, mail.mydomain.com/autodiscover.mydomain.com/Exchangeserver.mydomain.local/Exchangeserver(NETBIOS NAME)...so when setting up POP in like my outlook when it askes for outgoing and imcoming mail server, so I put mail.mydomain.com?  Or do I need like pop.mydomain.com?  Please help as this user will not leave me alone about the stupid blackberry....I told him that windows mobile is better...LOL, cause i know how to do that!!!

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3 - 29.Dec.2008 6:39:58 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Awful idea.
The BB user should get the service from his telco. He gives them his 'real' address and you forward all his mail to his BB user@bb.telco.com (or whatever).
Don't even think about POP/IMAP; it's a bad solution to pursue.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to stevenjwilliams83)
Post #: 2
RE: Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3 - 29.Dec.2008 7:49:57 PM   
DarkCobra

Two options...

First Option: have the user use his BIS through his cell provider to setup the email account on his BlackBerry. The downside to this is it will take 15 minutes for the email to replicate over to the device. It only does it as IMAP so there won't be any worries of deleting an important email off the server.

Second Option: RIM offers a free lightened version of BES that you can use for free with a single user. This will require loading BES onto a server (not your exchange server) and then setting all the permissions on AD for a BES Admin account.

Here is the link:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/exchange/#tab_ddetail_subtab_pricing

or here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/offers/professional_express.jsp

The second link provides the professional express which includes a single user license. Both of them should include one, but i don't remember if RIM stopped the BES offer and moved it to just the professional or not.

You can always contact me if your having any problems or would like assistance setting this option up.

My email address is in my signature or you can call: 906.282.2248

< Message edited by DarkCobra -- 29.Dec.2008 7:54:40 PM >

Jake
Partner
Information Technology Consultant
Buzzworthy Consulting
jacob.shields@buzzworthyconsulting.net
http://www.buzzworthyconsulting.net

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Blackberry Access through IMAP or POP3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter