• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

All inbound smtp traffic local and external failed Jan 1 2009

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> All inbound smtp traffic local and external failed Jan 1 2009 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
All inbound smtp traffic local and external failed Jan ... - 6.Jan.2009 8:47:32 AM   
csutherland

The reason was there was a site entered into the IP Block List Providers, it had been there for maybe a year with no issues. Now the site universeny.com should not have been entered but it was, the person who put it there thought they would be blocking the site. Anyway, suddenly we lost all inbound smtp and the server was rejecting all traffic, once we removed this site it started working again.

My theory is this, the only strange thing about this site is that you can ping it by name fine and it will return an ip, but if you nslookup the ip that is returned when you ping by name you will get nothing back so my theory is that because this is the case the exchange server somehow decided to block all ip's for that site.

We ran a test and put in other sites that were not ip blocking sites and it did not take the smtp traffic down, but they also resolved a name using nslookup on their ip also.

Anyone have any suggestions? It really bugs me that the site was entered into the server over six months or more ago and has never caused an issue till really Jan 1 2009, my guess is the site was resolving a name till that date.

One other small note to those who might by using Postini, when your local server or Firewall is blocking Postini traffic, their statistics do you include those emails, as postini has to make a connection with your server first before handling even the blatent spam. This feature of Postini had us thinking the issue was with them since the statistics dropped way off when this occured, but they explained it as their stats do not accrue on the messages that were rejected because we rejected Postini's connection.

So we spent the better part of 1/2 a day chasing our tails before we finally found the realy issue. And we had to call in exchange experts to help solve it as it made no sense that the server suddenly stopped handling smtp traffic!

What a fun day it was!
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> All inbound smtp traffic local and external failed Jan 1 2009 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter