• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected"

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected" - 20.Jan.2009 9:17:02 AM   
bluem

Hello,

One of our employees is getting a delivery error when attempting to send an email to a user at a different company. I tried to send an email to the external user as well and got the same eror message...please see below.

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: Email Response
Sent: 1/20/2009 8:58 AM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
user@usercompany.com on 1/20/2009 8:58 AM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<CA-SERVER.new.local #5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected user@usercompany.com>"

The message indicates that there was "a SMTP communication prvoblem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator." I checked our exchange server and could not find any problems...I am not sure if I should trust the text of the error message that the problem is with recipients email server and not ours.

Thanks,
b

Post #: 1
RE: Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected... - 23.Jan.2009 11:17:21 AM   
Hermes

The text of the message is confusing. I expect that if you are sending email to everyone else just fine, it's a configuration problem with their server.

Contact their email admins and let them know what you are seeing.

(in reply to bluem)
Post #: 2
RE: Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected... - 23.Jan.2009 11:45:20 AM   
uemurad

The message basically says that it had trouble communicating with the other server.  It could be an issue with your server and could likely be an issue with the recipient server or communications systems.  It could also be that your DNS information for that other system is invalid (outdated cache or corrupted information).

The first things you can do is try to communicate manually.

First, confirm the FQDN and IP address of the recipient system using NSLookup.
Then, try to manually create/send a message to that address using Telnet.

Post any results you would like interpreted.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to bluem)
Post #: 3
RE: Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected... - 21.Jan.2010 4:26:08 PM   
dougsymes

I'm getting the same message: 
quote:

550 #5.1.0 Address rejected
and I tested with telnet and nslookup and everything seems fine.  What can I do to isolate this?  How can I tell if it is my server or the destination server?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected... - 21.Jan.2010 8:21:05 PM   
uemurad

You need to determine whether your Exchange server is connecting directly with the recipient system, or if it sends messages to an intermediate system.

The NSLookup and Telnet tests need to be run from the system that communicates directly with the recipient system.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to dougsymes)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Error "#5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter