• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck in the queue at retry

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck in the queue at retry Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck in th... - 31.Jan.2009 10:05:22 PM   
Vezgo206

Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck in the queue at retry

Windows server 2003 /Exchange 2007
1.       Front end servers XXX-exfe-02 (Original)- 10.0.3.48 – Client Access /Hub Transport
2.       Front end servers XXX-exfe-03 (New) - 10.0.3.47– Client Access /Hub Transport
3.       Front end servers XXX-exfe-03 (New) -10.0.3.48– Client Access /Hub Transport

Backend Cluster name Pormailer-US.daomain.com IP 10.0.0.54
1.       Backend Server XXX-exbe-01  IP - 10.0.0.55- Mail Box
2.       Backend Server XXX-exbe-02  IP - 10.0.0.56- Mail Box

Scenario:
The Hub Transport server XXX-exfe-02 IP 10.0.0.81 is a Desktop box so we purchased two 1U servers to replace this Desktop box and intend to Load balance the two new servers.
Internal DNS Alias for XXX-exfe-02 = Mail.domain.com which External resolves external OWA .
Installed Exchange 2007 on both servers as Client Access and Hub transport.
1.       XXX-exfe-03  IP 10.0.3.47
2.       XXX-exfe-04  IP 10.0.3.48
Later the night  of the install the new servers XXX -exfe-03 and XXX -exfe-04 started to receive email  in their queue which I never intended until the Load balance cluster was configured.
Now XXX exfe-03 has 640 messages in its queue, I resolved some error which were related to the Exchange certificates not  it the correct place. The second error I noticed was the in the Hub Transport property’s System Tab XXX exfe-03 and XXX exfe-04 had no Domain controllers listed and the same for the Global catalog servers field. I ran the command in the shell to add domain controllers for both servers and the fields became populated.  I am able to turn the two new servers XXX-exfe-03 and XXX-exfe-04 and the original server XXX-exfe-02  will send email fine.
Now XXX-exfe-03 errors from the Message Flow troubleshooting states the ‘Pointer’ PTR is not correct. Question do I need to add the PTR or MX to my ISP DNS? Or is this an internal DNS entry.
The message errors in the queue is 451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: "421.4.2.1 Unable to
connect."
Attempted failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed. Either there
are no
alternate hosts or delivery failed to all alternate hosts
Alias entry for internal DNS  Mail.pro.com ------>10.0.0.82xxx-exfe-02------>10.0.0.82------>NAT------>65.XX.192.97------>mail.domain.com------>ISPxxx-exfe-03------> ------>ISPxxx-exfe-04------> ------>ISP

ISP DNS Entries:
@             in      soa       ns.adhost.com. hostmaster.adhost.com
                in      ns         ns.adhost.com.
                in      ns         ns0.adhost.com.       
                in      mx 2    domain.com.inbound15.mxlogic.net.
                in      mx 4    domain.com.inbound15.mxlogicmx.net.
                in      mx 6    domain com.s7a1.psmtp.com.
                in      mx 8    domain.com.s7a2.psmtp.com.
                in      mx 10   domain.com.s7b1.psmtp.com.
                in      mx 12   domain.com.s7b2.psmtp.com.
                 in      mx 14   mail. domain.com.
                 in      mx 16   webmail. domain.com.
mail          in      a       XX.XX.192.97
webmail  in      mx 20   webmail.domain.com.

1.       Can I manually move these messages to the working Hub Transport Server XXX-exfe-02
2.       Do I need to add the PTR or MX to my ISP DNS? Or is this an internal DNS entry
3.       Do I need a new SPF record and reverse DNS record
4.       Do I need to create a new SMTP policy for each of the new servers XXX-exfe-03 and XXX-exfe-04
5.       How do I failover the messages to the alternate Hub Transport Server XXX-exfe-02

Thanks in advance any help will be great!

Roosevelt Hubbard

Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck i... - 31.Jan.2009 11:06:14 PM   
Elan Shudnow

All I'll say to this is you don't "always" need to have PTR and SPF records but they will cause delivery issues to certain domains; although not many.  I have created a detailed record on how you should set up DNS for Exchange below.

http://www.shudnow.net/2008/11/08/exchange-2007-mail-flow-dns-records-connectors-and-tls/

You can move a Queue database to another server.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124343.aspx

If you have Queue issues and want to force a Retry after resolving any Transport Issues, you can use the Retry-Queue command.  If you want to force re-categorization of your Queue due to changes such as Connector Modifications, you will want to use the -Resubmit $true switch with the Retry-Queue command.

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to Vezgo206)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 Mail delivery issue, messages stuck in the queue at retry Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter