• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

second Backend server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> second Backend server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
second Backend server - 6.Feb.2009 4:11:18 AM   
yourisd

I have an Exchange 2003 environment with 1 front end and one backend server. I have just taken over as a consultant with the company and found their front end server in the DMZ. This is slated to go away however the backend server lives on a domain controller. My first priority is to install a stand alone exchange server and migrate boxes to it and then move the front end. For a short period of time I will have two backend servers. is there anything I need to do different during my installation for the second backend to work with the other two servers. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: second Backend server - 6.Feb.2009 5:33:21 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Just make sure that the same DMZ/Internal ports that are open from the current FE to the BE are the same for the new BE.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to yourisd)
Post #: 2
RE: second Backend server - 6.Feb.2009 7:09:50 AM   
ravisha_22

you may want to designate one if the two BE as the BH servers or you can set them both as BHs

Ravishankar

(in reply to yourisd)
Post #: 3
RE: second Backend server - 6.Feb.2009 7:52:06 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Actually probably not. Usually the FE is the bridgehead, not the BEs. Create a Routing Group SMTP connector and assign the FE as the local bridgehead. Go to the SMTP VSI (Off the protocols menu) on the BE and make sure there is no "smarthost" configured in the settings there.
That will allow traffic between mailboxes on different servers to flow directly but all traffic outbound will go through the FE which will have (probably) the disclaimer package on it etc.)

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to ravisha_22)
Post #: 4
RE: second Backend server - 8.Feb.2009 10:43:47 PM   
NileshS

You can make one of the BE server as a temporary BH till the time you move the FE; that way it wont affect the mailflow. Also take care of the MX records etc and make sure it is pointing to the correct location while you move the FE.

(in reply to ravisha_22)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> second Backend server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter