• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Anywhere

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Anywhere Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Anywhere - 13.Feb.2009 1:21:32 PM   
alexmetal

I just configured Outlook Anywhere for a new Exchange 2007 SP1 server on Server 2008. The autodiscover seems to be pulling all of the settings for Outlook, but after it prompts for the username/password, I enter it in and I get the error "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."
I've tried switching between Basic Auth and NTLM Auth, still doesn't work. I've ran the autodiscover test at testexchangeconnectivitiy.com and it passes. OWA is working fine, I can log in internally and externally. Any ideas?

I've tried doing manual and automatic settings.
Post #: 1
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 13.Feb.2009 4:39:06 PM   
ahanbali

make sure that certificate that installed on your exchange server is trusted on your client machine...

Abdelrahim I. Al-Hanbali
www.micromissions.com

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 2
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 13.Feb.2009 7:12:55 PM   
alexmetal

It is trusted, as far as I can tell. Is there anywhere specifically I need to check? It's a signed UCC certificate that we purchased a couple days ago.

(in reply to ahanbali)
Post #: 3
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 14.Feb.2009 4:59:16 AM   
ahanbali

try to create the outlook profile whe the machine is connectede to the network so it use the RPC not RPC-Over-HTTP..
then try to connect through outlook anywhere

Abdelrahim I. Al-Hanbali
www.micromissions.com

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 4
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 15.Feb.2009 1:25:07 PM   
alexmetal

Yep. Connects fine in the network. Our server is hosted in a data center and we don't want a VPN because we're in several offices, so we're going to be using only RPC over HTTP and OWA. Any other suggestions?

(in reply to ahanbali)
Post #: 5
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 15.Feb.2009 1:47:25 PM   
ahanbali

ok... just for testing try to create the outlook profile while it is connected to the LAN where AD infra of the Exchange server is deployed...then configure the outlook profile for outlook anywhere and test it outside the network from any of your offices

Abdelrahim I. Al-Hanbali
www.micromissions.com

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 6
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 15.Feb.2009 10:33:59 PM   
roshan_x

Hi alexmetal,

If you are using outlook anywhere, the Exchange proxy settings, under outlook anywhere should be configured : URL "owa.xxxx.com" and the certificate principal name "msstd:owa.xxx.com"

(in reply to ahanbali)
Post #: 7
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 16.Feb.2009 11:04:07 AM   
alexmetal

It does work outside of the network after it's been connected inside of it. Weird?

(in reply to ahanbali)
Post #: 8
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 16.Feb.2009 12:13:08 PM   
alexmetal

After running the Autodiscover w/RPC over HTTP test at testexchangeconnectivity.com I'm getting the following error:

Attempting to ping RPC Endpoint 6004 (NSPI Proxy Interface) on server exch01.domain.com

Which led me to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950138

The solution is to install update rollup 4, but I have update rollup 6 installed, shouldn't that replace it?

< Message edited by alexmetal -- 16.Feb.2009 12:26:49 PM >

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 9
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 16.Feb.2009 12:42:12 PM   
alexmetal

Problem solved!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc671176.aspx

Thanks to ahanbali for walking me through a lot of troubleshooting steps that I never would have tried, that ultimately lead me to this solution.

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 10
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 16.Feb.2009 4:34:40 PM   
alexmetal

It's broken again. I haven't changed anything, it just stopped working out of nowhere again.
testexchangeconnectivity.com gives me this error:

Attempting to Ping RPC Proxy webmail.domain.com
Cannot ping RPC Proxy

A Web Exception occured because an HTTP 401 - Unauthorized response was received from Unknown

Any ideas?

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 11
RE: Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Any... - 16.Feb.2009 5:13:34 PM   
alexmetal

It seems one of the web developers got into IIS on the CAS server (no idea what they were doing in IIS on my server) and disabled SSL on all of the folders. Everything is working again.

(in reply to alexmetal)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Installation >> Connection to Exchange is unavailable - Outlook Anywhere Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter