• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 1:10:30 AM   
ausecfinance

Hey Everyone,

Im new to ms exchange, hopefully you can help me with an issue.

I have been on the phone to Symantec support for 2 weeks now because of an issue with their software.  When restoring individual mailboxes I can select items from the list that have been removed over 2 - 3 years ago.  I have one item in my inbox but symantec has items listed since 2006....

Another strange thing I have noticed is that the EDB database size is around 37.8gb, but when I tally up individual mailboxes they are only about 7gb.  The number of mailboxes has been halved over the last 6 months, and in the last few weeks I have been getting the remaining mailboxes below 1GBeach.

I can successfully backup and restore using NTBackup, loading to an recovery storage group.  When exmerging from the recovery storage group all mail is restored as it should be.

Im really stumped on this and hope someone has experianced this before.

Cheers

Jason
Post #: 1
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 9:13:54 AM   
uemurad

I didn't understand your question about your Symantec issue.

What you need to know is that EDB files and STM files never shrink on their own.  Instead, whitespace is created as messages are deleted.  If you look at the Application Log on your Exchange server, search for the most recent 1221 Event.  That will tell you how much of the 37.8GB is whitespace.  New messages are written there first.  Not until all the whitespace is used does the physical file size increase.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to ausecfinance)
Post #: 2
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 6:01:49 PM   
ausecfinance

Thanks uemurad,

The Symantec thing was more for your information, I didnt think anything was wrong with my exchange untill symantec failed to restore my individual mailbox.  Symantec seems to think its a problem on my end with the information store.

I have run an ISINTEG over the weekend to fix any problems in the store.  It managed to pickup 89 issues and repair them.  After that I performed a ESEUTIL to defrag the database.  I was hoping that these utilities would have reduced the white space and stop symantec backing up items that dont even exist in the mailboxes.

How can i flush out the database white space?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 6:04:53 PM   
ausecfinance

This is one of the 1221 events,

The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SBSERVER)" has 23492 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

Thanks

Jason

Post #: 4
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 10:25:37 PM   
uemurad

That tells you that of your 37GB (plus the size of your STM file), 23GB is whitespace.

If you have a question or issue, please restate it.  I don't understand what information you are looking for.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 5
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 17.Feb.2009 10:55:19 PM   
ausecfinance

Hey mate, 

How can i flush out the database white space?  was the question at the bottom of the post before last.

Thanks

Jason

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues - 18.Feb.2009 1:00:23 AM   
uemurad

Jason,

Sorry - I didn't recognize your name from the post in the Information Stores forum.  Let me repeat what I wrote there:

First, let me say that whitespace is not always wasted space.  It is better for performance to have some whitespace as it takes less disk activity to write new messages into whitespace versus having to expand the database file.

There are two ways to reclaim the whitespace.  The preferred method requires either Exchange Enterprise edition or a second Standard edition.  It involves moving all of the mailboxes into a new mailbox store, then deleting the old store and files.  Since all of the messages transferred expand the new store database, it will end up in a defragmented state.  The advantage to this method is that you never have to take any store offline, and only the mailboxes in transit at any given time are inaccessible.

The second method is the offline defragmentation.  This is accomplished by using the ESEUTIL command, but as it's description suggests, you have to take the mailbox store offline to perform it.  The time needed depends upon the size of the defragged store.  I think I've seen estimates around 5GB/hour.  You also need to perform some integrity checking before and after, as well as insuring you perform a full backup beforehand.  Note that this should not be considered a maintenance routine.  You will be affecting the database and there is always the possibility that it end up in a corrupted state - hence the need for the full backup.  Also, if you aren't queuing the mail at a gateway ahead of your Exchange server, any new messages coming in during this procedure will bounce.

Since you are using SBS, then you have Exchange Standard so your only option is the offline defrag (ESEUTIL).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Information Store EDB Size / Restore Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter