• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving Transaction Logs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Moving Transaction Logs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving Transaction Logs - 23.Feb.2009 7:57:24 AM   
thehutch

Hi all,

My .edb and .log files were living on the same volume and were causing me some diskspace headaches.  The problem started with my backups not purging logfiles and I solved that by creating a new backup job.  When I originally configured my Exchange environment I created 2 volumes, one for database and the other for logs. 

In order to properly utilize that configuration I am going to perform a Transaction Log move this weekend. This will be a first as I I have usually used the eseutil but this time around I plan to to use this article instead:

http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/move-committed-exchange-transaction-logs/

Hopefully this will clear up all my issues.  If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

Post #: 1
RE: Moving Transaction Logs - 23.Feb.2009 9:49:56 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Why is it that you cannot just use: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915 to do the move?

You would never use eseutil to do the move so I'm not entirely clear where you're coming from.

I would have a go at doing an ntbackup.exe job to clear the logs, then do the move and then do another ntbackup.exe job.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to thehutch)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving Transaction Logs - 23.Feb.2009 3:10:23 PM   
thehutch

That article you posted pertains to Exchange 2003 and I am running Exchange 2007 SP1.  This either means that I posted in the wrong area by mistake or that the last equinox reverted my brain to follow some sort of backwards compatibilty pattern that is sure to soon have me wearing parachute pants and running Exchange 5.5 by the end of the year. 

I've used eseutil in the past to index the database in Exchange 5.5 which in turn would occassionally clear logs and free up diskspace.

< Message edited by thehutch -- 23.Feb.2009 3:11:43 PM >

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving Transaction Logs - 23.Feb.2009 4:07:15 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Doesn't matter. It's the whole "doing it in the GUI" that is the point. Right click on the storage group, select properties and then browse to the location you want it.

You have not used eseutil in 5.5 to 'index' the database.

Just follow the right click, properties, browse method. Do nothing else. Do not use eseutil and probably don't even bother with PowerShell just yet.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to thehutch)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Moving Transaction Logs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter