• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to route emails from one exchange server to another.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> How to route emails from one exchange server to another. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to route emails from one exchange server to another. - 25.Feb.2009 8:35:53 AM   
kamallatif

I have two offices in different countries. Both offices has their own domain (2008) and exchange servers (2007 SP1) (with ISA 2006 as front end firewall). However the email domain is common for both the offices as it is a single company. I can receive all emails for the domain in Office A exchange server as per the mx record pointing to Office A public IP, however I want to forward emails for selected users to Office B exchange server. Can anyone please describe how can I do this on the Exchange and ISA servers.

Regards,
Kamal
Post #: 1
RE: How to route emails from one exchange server to ano... - 26.Feb.2009 9:47:11 PM   
Elan Shudnow

So let's say you're accepted mail for shudnow.net.  The mx record for shudnow.net is going to Exchange Organization A.  In Organization A, you'd set your Accepted Domain for shudnow.net to be internal relay instead of authoritiative.  Authoritative means that if the mailbox does not exist in Organization A, it will automatically send an NDR back.

So after configuring shudnow.net in Organization A for internal relay, you'll want to create a Send Conenctor for shudnow.net that smart hosts SMTP for shudnow.net to the Exchange Hub Transport Server(s) in Organization B.

What Internal Relay does is if the Exchange Organization A does not have a mailbox, instead of automatically sending an NDR back, it will first look for a Send Connector for shudnow.net.  It will then smart host that SMTP traffic to the Hub Transport Servers in Organization B.  If Organization B contains the mailbox, it will deliver it.  This allows you to share an SMTP namespace across multiple organizations.

You can read more about this here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676395.aspx

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to kamallatif)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> How to route emails from one exchange server to another. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter