2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing

Xenon99 -> 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (27.Feb.2009 5:08:36 AM)

I have been trawling the forum for a few days and found no solution to this particular problem.

We have installed a 2nd Exchange server (Server2) on the same domain/site as our original server (Server1) to service new mailboxes. We have a mail flow problem as follows...

Server2 -> Server2 - no problem
Server2 -> Server1/external - no problem
Server1/external -> Server2 - mail stuck in Server1 queue "Server2.domain.com"

Eventually a message is returned to the sender stating that the deilvery has been delayed.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
Mike

ismail.mohammed -> RE: 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (27.Feb.2009 5:14:06 AM)

hi mate,

how about telnet on port 25.

Can you please paste the entire NDR

Xenon99 -> RE: 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (27.Feb.2009 5:42:13 AM)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.
Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.
user@domain.com

Telnet from Server1 to Server2 on port 25 shows "ready". Is there a particular command I should try?

I think the problem may lie in the fact that the Default SMTP Virtual Server on Server1 has an external Smart host? I have tried an "internal connector" but the result was the same.

Thanks.

ismail.mohammed -> RE: 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (27.Feb.2009 5:50:19 AM)

hi mate,

yup i agree,

do one thing create a new connector and test it, even check the smart host server as well

Xenon99 -> RE: 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (27.Feb.2009 6:06:42 AM)

Still the same. The connector settings I am using are...
Local Bridgehead = Server1
Address Space = SMTP - domain.com - 1 (cost)
The other settings are as default and our MX entries have a higher cost.

The external smart host is administered by our isp. Maybe I will have to register Server2 in their DNS? Or would there be another "internal" solution?

Thanks again.

Xenon99 -> RE: 2nd server same domain does not receive mail from 1st (2.Mar.2009 7:47:43 AM)

That was it. Got our ISP to add an MX entry for our new server on their smart host and everything is now wonderful!

Thanks.

Page: [1]