• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

BlackBerry advice

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> BlackBerry advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BlackBerry advice - 16.Mar.2009 5:51:45 AM   
Ahmad Ramadan

hello

i have a new customer with a new migration project from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 i have no problem at all regarding the migrations and working with microsoft platforms
but i found out the this customer is using a blackberry server for exchanging mail wz mobiles and its currently working okay with the exchange 2003
i adviced him to stop working with the blackberry and u can use the new activesync direct push features but seems he is not agreeing
anyway my question is what is the recommendation, tips and tricks i should take care, do and consider it in this migration project regarding making the exchange 2007 work with this blackberry server

waiting for replies
thank you

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed
Senior Systems Projects Engineer
Post #: 1
RE: BlackBerry advice - 16.Mar.2009 7:00:17 AM   
Draconis

You need a Blackberry Enterprise Server to provide mail to Blackberry Mobile Devices.  I believe you can have the Blackberry Mobile Devices use Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) to access mail through OWA but I dont recommend this.  I'm not even sure RIM supports this.  You can try POP/IMAP for your email.  The best way is the Blackberry Enterprise Server.  You can use ActiveSync for anything that has Windows Mobile OS or phones that have support for ActiveSync such as iPhone 2.0, Palm OS, etc.  I prefer to use activesync since you dont need to keep on buying a Support Agreement.  Adding additional phones doesnt cost a huge expense.  The administration is centralized and is controlled through the Exchange Management Console.  Some people are just addicted to their Blackberries though.  It has its' uses.

(in reply to Ahmad Ramadan)
Post #: 2
RE: BlackBerry advice - 16.Mar.2009 7:18:07 AM   
Ahmad Ramadan

yeah mean and this is the issue that they dont care about new features in ActiveSync they just love the blackberry
i have the blackberry enterprise server and i have the license for the number of users
1- i am consern about what will happen and what i have to do with the current blackberry server that is configured and working with the exchange 2003 when i do the migration to the ex2007
2- do u have any article or official documents explaining how to do in normal senario and in ex2k3 to ex2k7 migration senarios????

thank you mate for ur reply
waiting ur reply  

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed

(in reply to Draconis)
Post #: 3
RE: BlackBerry advice - 16.Mar.2009 7:40:03 AM   
Draconis

A contractor performed our migration.  Prior to performing any changes to your Blackberry Infrastructure, I would ensure that you have a TSupport agreement in place.

Here are a few articles on the migration process:
RIM's support conditions
RIM's migration KB

Make sure you speak with a RIM engineer after you sorted out your TSupport agreement.  He/she will be able to point you in the right direction and hopefully will note any issues they have been seeing during a migration process.  If you have a test lab, it pays to go through the whole process at least once to see where the issues might be during the Production Environment Migration.

Post #: 4
RE: BlackBerry advice - 16.Mar.2009 7:56:32 AM   
Ahmad Ramadan

that was very informative man
THANX
i owe u a bear

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed

(in reply to Draconis)
Post #: 5
RE: BlackBerry advice - 21.Apr.2009 11:51:40 AM   
phorrigan

I would say that BES is getting to the point where it is mission critical now. BES is in so many enterprise level corporations this day, to simply tell a company to not use it, at this would point would be like telling a company to stop using cell phones. People are addicted to the BlackBerry's because they are the most efficient way to access e-mail while out of the office. And the new BES 5.0 features look amazing.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/7335/index.jsp?name=BlackBerry+Enterprise+Server+for+Microsoft+Exchange+-+Feature+and+Technical+Overview5.0&language=English&userType=2&category=BlackBerry+Enterprise+Server+for+Microsoft+Exchange&subCategory=

Post #: 6
RE: BlackBerry advice - 4.May2009 1:08:29 PM   
pvansch1

You need to create the Blackberry Admin acounts and such aas described in the above article on the new server, or for a migration make sure they have the proper priveleges. Turn off the RIM server services and then point at the new server name. Turn on the BES or RIM services, everything should sync up. Looks intimidating but not too bad. Pete

(in reply to phorrigan)
Post #: 7
RE: BlackBerry advice - 5.May2009 3:09:34 AM   
Ahmad Ramadan

Thank You very much my friend
really appreciated

Ahmad Ramadan AbaYazeed

(in reply to pvansch1)
Post #: 8
RE: BlackBerry advice - 7.May2009 2:37:23 PM   
ratishnair

Hey Ahmad,

Why do we have a confusion with BB ?
I would create an account in the E2k3 server, configure BB for that account and move that user to E2K7 and see what happens !!! I suppose it should work.....
BB doesnt use IIS as activesync... so it has nothing to do with coexistence of exchange....
BB has their own technology where the BESAdmin account is the one who integrates BES with Exchange.... The point is, if BES has synced with E2K3, it should do the same with E2K7....

Regarding Activesync n BB..... I dont know why people are soo much into BB where MS has a free technology available with Exchange.... lol....

Please update on your findings....

Ratish

Post #: 9
RE: BlackBerry advice - 17.May2009 5:52:41 AM   
SyncMyMail

Just make sure that the Blackberry gets 'wiped' before connecting to the BES. By doing this you get a 'clean' install and prevents getting problems with wireless sync or Global Address List lookup function.

To wipe a blackberry, go to settings, security settings, press menu and select wipe handheld.

This will erase all the data on the device, so be sure to make a backup.

After the wipe has completed (aprox 5 mins) you can activate the device to the BES via the Enterprise Activation icon on the homescreen or in the settings menu.

Hope this helps!

Ronald Freriks
Support Engineer
www.syncmymail.com

(in reply to ratishnair)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> BlackBerry advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter