• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP Advice

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> SMTP Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP Advice - 17.Mar.2009 10:56:34 PM   
FutureZone

Hello, We have 2003 Exc server and our outlet in country A. So when we want to set our forward mail SMTP to countryA.com address by using "Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector", all messages are undelivered. Where should I check? Is it router problem? If we use their smart hosts then can be delivered without any problems. Generally, is there any pros and cons to use these two below options?1)Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector2)Forward All mail through this connector to the following smart hosts Thank you for your guidance and expertise.
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP Advice - 18.Mar.2009 12:15:37 AM   
uemurad

Are these two Exchange servers in the same Exchange Organization?  Do the users on the two servers have the same SMTP domain?  Are they two completely separate entities?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to FutureZone)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP Advice - 18.Mar.2009 1:26:46 AM   
FutureZone

Hello, No. These are different entities in different location. But same organization and just difference was domain name. For example, domain.uk and domain.id difference. Thanks for your reply.  

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: SMTP Advice - 18.Mar.2009 10:33:32 AM   
uemurad

When you say the messages are not delivered, what happens to them?  Are they queued?  Do you receive immediate NDRs (and if so, what do they say)?

Did you configure a separate SMTP connector for this one company, or are you using the same connector for all outbound messages?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to FutureZone)
Post #: 4
RE: SMTP Advice - 19.Mar.2009 5:30:09 AM   
lukebrynycz

In most cases....

Use DNS to send if you have a static IP and valid PTR records to verify that it's your IP and/or domain that is sending the mail and not a rogue system.  Also, if your ISP allows port 25 (SMTP) this is the preferred route to go down.  Don't forget your A record for your mail server (should be done automatically when the server was authenticated onto the domain) and then create an MX record for your Servers IP in your local DNS service.

Use a smart host if you have a dynamic IP address (rare in business circumstances) or if you don't have valid PTR records.  All a smart host does is allows you to send your mail to your ISPs mailserver for example which has the correct records, and they then scan your e-mails and forward them on to the sender for you.

I actually prefer to use POP myself as you get mail scanning at your ISP for both inbound and outbound mail and someone to blame if things go t*ts up   You've also got the benefit of been able to log into webmail for your users if your Server goes down which gives you less stress when repairing your Server.  Job done!!

(in reply to FutureZone)
Post #: 5
RE: SMTP Advice - 19.Mar.2009 5:52:31 AM   
lukebrynycz

If you want to check your PTR records, this is a good link.  It picks up your IP automatically, just click check...

http://remote.12dt.com/

(in reply to lukebrynycz)
Post #: 6
RE: SMTP Advice - 23.Mar.2009 6:18:07 AM   
lukebrynycz

Did this help at all FutureZone?

(in reply to lukebrynycz)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> SMTP Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages