• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

after running ESEUTIL /P what to do

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> after running ESEUTIL /P what to do Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 18.Mar.2009 7:59:43 PM   
karmaisa

Hello,  I am on about the 6th hour of waiting for the ESEUTIL /P command to finish.  It is at the "deleting unicode fixup table" screen.  I just had a question about how to proceed from here.  I have heard that I need to delete all the log files from the exchange folder before trying to mount the store but I wanted to make sure that is correct.  Also I have read that I need to do a "defrag" using the eseutil command, but is that absolutely neccessary?  Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 18.Mar.2009 9:10:14 PM   
uemurad

First, I'm hoping that you ran ESEUTIL /P because Microsoft PSS or some other reputable support group directed you to do so.

You do want to run ESEUTIL /D to complete the repair, and you want to run a Full Backup as soon as possible.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to karmaisa)
Post #: 2
RE: after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 19.Mar.2009 3:25:34 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

I agree with uemurad. Just to add one more thing after running /p & /d, you need to run isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests . This command will remove the logical corruption.

For more details on Isinteg command : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;301460

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125144.aspx

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 21.Mar.2009 7:13:24 PM   
ratishnair

Action Plan for running a Hard repair of the databases:

PN: Ramifications of running the eseutil /p or edbutil /d /r command http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259851

1. Make sure the databases are dismounted in ESM.
2. Before running the Hard Repair, I would suggest you to make a copy of the priv1.edb , priv1.stm and pub1.edb , pub1.stm
  Now From a command prompt, run eseutil in the repair mode syntax should be:
              Eseutil /p "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"

-Using ESEUTIL /p is a last resort utility that is only run when databases will not mount due to inconsistancy.
            -ESEUTIL /p deletes any data needed (corrupt data or incomplete transactions) to bring the database to a consistent state.
            -ESEUTIL /p runs at about 3-5 Gig of data per hour.
            -NOTE: Do not click in the command prompt screen, it causes the ESEUTIL process to PAUSE, if this occurs you can press the F5 key to resume.

3. Once that completes, run the same command against the pub1.edb file.
4. Run an offline defrag of both databases. The syntax should be:
              Eseutil /d "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"

-You must have at least 110% free space, relative to the database size to run ESEUTIL /D.
          -If you do not designate a temp location using the t command, it defaults to the directory EXCHSRVR/BIN
          -ESEUTIL /d runs at about 3 to 5 Gig per hour
          -After running /d you must remove any log files in the MDBDATA folder before mounting the database.

How to Defragment with the Eseutil Utility (Eseutil.exe) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=192185
5. Once that completes, run the same command against the pub1.edb file.
6. Disable the SMTP service prior to mounting the databases to prevent new email from coming in to the databases.
    Mount the databases with the repaired/defraged database.
    Logon to make sure you can access one of the mailboxes, but will want to then immediately dismount both of the stores
7. You will then need to run an isinteg to fix any corruption at the store level.
    The syntax should be:
               Isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests

- ISINTEG Must be run after ESEUTIL /P or ESEUTIL /d to remove logical corruption caused by deletions
            - ISINTEG -FIX runs at about 2 to 10 minutes per Gig of data
            - Select the database to run the utility against. (The database must be dismounted)
          - ISINTEG will create a log file named ISINTEG.PRI in the MDBDATA folder (open with Notepad)
          - Note the number of FIXES we get after each run of ISINTEG -FIX. We will need to run this till we get 0 fixes. 
          - This may take 3 or more times.
          - Also note the number of errors we get after each run of ISINTEG -FIX
          - Once we get 0 FIXES note the number of errors.

Description of the Isinteg Utility http://support.microsoft.com/?id=182081

(in reply to karmaisa)
Post #: 4
RE: after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 26.Mar.2009 10:18:46 AM   
consultOz

If you are running EseUtil /P , the new database is suspected for possible corruption in the long run and therefore you may considering to start with *New* database.

IF you are running Exchange 2003 standard version , the process will be painful since you cannot create another DB and simply move the mailboxes on to it,

If you are running Exchange 2007 Standard 5 DB is allowed and you would not have to export all mails out delete the DB. Create new one, import all mails back as you can imagine alot of work

Here is least one reason for you to upgrade to Exchange 07
--oz

< Message edited by consultOz -- 26.Mar.2009 10:20:06 AM >

Regards,
Oz Casey Dedeal
MVP (Exchange)
MCITP (EMA),MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA),
MCSE 2003 M+ S+, MCDST
Security+, Project+ ,Server+
http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog)
http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)

(in reply to ratishnair)
Post #: 5
RE: after running ESEUTIL /P what to do - 30.Mar.2009 12:59:10 AM   
gladone

Always take a flat file copy of he database before doing hard repair

(in reply to consultOz)
Post #: 6
[Deleted] - 17.Jul.2017 7:41:10 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to gladone)
  Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 8.Aug.2017 12:05:39 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Deleted User)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> after running ESEUTIL /P what to do Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter