• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail ERROR

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail ERROR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail ... - 19.Mar.2009 12:17:25 PM   
worb68

Hello,
We currently have Send connectors that send email from E2K7 out through our E2K server to our Mimesweeper servers.  Dont ask, the firewall change had not been actioned when we installed E2K7 to allow email out to the external mail gateways.

It has been actioned now so I need to create SEND connectors to send email to our Mimesweeper boxes for the next hop.  I have tried this as a custom and internet connector, with an address space of * and cost of 5 (my existing connectors I moved the cost to 100 so as to not use them first), smart host of the IP address of my gateways, smart host authentication of none and using my HUB servers as the source server.  I then receive the following error when sending messages - any ideas on how I get around this.  Thanks.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

'user@gmail.com'
Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: my_work_domain.com.
  _____  
Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: MY HUB SERVER
user@gmail.com
my_work_domain.com #501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail (r) from <my_work_domain.com> to <user@gmail.com> for MY HUB SERVER IP.
Post #: 1
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 19.Mar.2009 12:39:59 PM   
ravisha_22

What client are you using to send mails? and What type of access? IMAP/POP/MAPI?

Ravishankar

(in reply to worb68)
Post #: 2
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 19.Mar.2009 12:57:20 PM   
worb68

Outook 2007 Sp1 - MAPI

Thanks.

(in reply to ravisha_22)
Post #: 3
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 20.Mar.2009 7:26:39 AM   
ravisha_22

The simplest was to find out would be to bump up dagnostic logging in the HUB server for transport and NDR to get a more details NDR log.

Ravishankar

(in reply to worb68)
Post #: 4
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 20.Mar.2009 7:28:50 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Try to do a telnet by choosing your minesweeper ip address and see the mailflow strategy - If it is not delivering the mail it might be because of minesweeper .

Another thing what you can do is : set the logging level to verbose and send an email to external domain and check the logs it should give you much more accurate picture.

For diagnostic logging enable:
http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/05/exchange-server-2007-logging-smtp.html

(in reply to worb68)
Post #: 5
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 20.Mar.2009 11:36:02 AM   
worb68

I think I may be getting somewhere on this possibly.  I think I need to add the HUB servers to be allowed to relay email through the Mimesweeper boxes.  The only thing that lets this down though is that the NDR message is generated from the HUB server and not the IP address of the mail gateway.  Could this be the issue?  anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 6
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 20.Mar.2009 11:44:42 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Even i feel like that only.. that's why i specified to do a telnet and enable verbose so it will show from which ip address the message is dropping out.. if you see that exchange server is not recognizing your next hop then you need to check the configuation of your exchange server to confirm whether it has proper smart host entry, if it has then you need to check minesweeper to confirm that it is able relay the information for your hub server

(in reply to worb68)
Post #: 7
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 20.Mar.2009 12:00:25 PM   
worb68

I think im there.  Although is there any preference for creating a smart host connector - should it be custom or internet for sending email to the Mail gateways?

What Ive done now:

Exchange 2000 server - telnet to mail gateway on port 25 and send an email using ehlo commands - WORKS

HUB Server- telnet to mail gateway on port 25 and send an email using ehlo commands - Error receive 5.7.1 NDR message

Add allow relay to Mimesweeper for HUB server IP address and then:

HUB Server- telnet to mail gateway on port 25 and send an email using ehlo commands - SUCCESS email goes out

Crafty, very crafty NDR.  Although silly me for forgetting to add relay to MS!!!

Post #: 8
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 23.Mar.2009 9:48:35 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Any solution?

(in reply to worb68)
Post #: 9
RE: 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay ma... - 30.Mar.2009 6:55:46 AM   
worb68

This was as suspected. The error came from the HUB server but it was the external mail gateway not configured to relay for the HUB server's IP that was causing this. Once allowed to relay through the mail gateway email is delivered fine.

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail ERROR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter