• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

maybe a stupid question about exchange transaction logs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> maybe a stupid question about exchange transaction logs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
maybe a stupid question about exchange transaction logs - 7.Apr.2009 10:55:47 PM   
ynot

Hi All first time poster here, but long time reader and fan. Please be gentle :)

I was wondering, I always that the first exchange log create (after a backup - log purge) was E00.log, then E000001.log.

It was always my understanding that in order to replay loys to recover the database in case of disaster I had to have all of the logs in sequence commencing with E000001.log .

I just ran a backup,my logs were cleared. The logs directory is as follows:

E00.log
E00tmp.log
E00002ED.log
E00003EE.log
res1.log
res2.log

Seems like the first log wasn't created?

What does this mean? How can I replay these logs if I need to?

Post #: 1
RE: maybe a stupid question about exchange transaction ... - 8.Apr.2009 4:10:15 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

Let say your Exchange Database status:
Priv1.edb, Priv1.stm, Pub1.edb & Pub1.stm
Log folder : e00.chk, e0000001.log as on till e00000050.log
Assume that till e0000040.log committed that is it is being written in the database.

Now you are taking the backup:
When you take the backup....
Your backup software will take the backup of database, will purge committed log file and also it will take a backup of your uncommitted log file i.e from 41 to 50 logs.

You are true log file should be in sequence, that means when you restore the data your database will be in dirty shutdown state (when you do online restore) and there will be required log file information. Thats required log file should be in sequence. i.e (41 to 50 logs as per the above example)

So when will be the chance of re-generating the log file right from e0000001...
1) when you dismount the store by default it will be in a clean shutdown status and there we don't require any log file, in that case sometime we use to move all the files except .edb and .stsm and then we will mount the store that time it will create a log starting from one.

2) When your log file reach to limitation : by default exchange 2003 limits upto 2 millions of log file when it reach to the limit, in that scenario you need to reset it back.

Hope this clear your doubt, let me know if you have any other query

(in reply to ynot)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> maybe a stupid question about exchange transaction logs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter