• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can I demote Exchange server ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Can I demote Exchange server ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can I demote Exchange server ? - 15.Apr.2009 12:01:55 PM   
MartinL

Here is the situation:
I am in a migration from windows 2000 domain Exchange 2000 server from 2003 domain et Exchange 2007.
I have VMware now, so I installed a 2003 DC in VM.
Transfered all the rôles to it, and the I used VMware **** to push my physical server (Exchange 2000 + DC 2000) to a VM machine.
The purpose of that is that I could re-install Windows 2003 on the physical machine while Exchange is still working.
Of course, the transfer did not work as expected, and now the replication is no longer working.
I did change a lot of thing on this server so that it works correctly, but I still have some issue with the replication. (2 DC in 2000 and 1 in 2003)

So my question is, can I demote this server while Exchange is still running? Maybe if I stop the services first ?

I removed the server as the DNS everywhere, and I don't need this DC anymore. I m only afraid that Exchange will stop working if I demote the server !

This morning, I had to change a password for a user, I changed it on 2 other DC (not from the Exchange one), the user could log in, but Outlook asked for a username and password. I had to change the password on the active directory from Exchange server too. That means Exchange only refers to it own DC !

So, should I install Exchange 2007 first, do the transition so that all my mailboxes and public folders are transfered, while I know this new Exchange works, demote my other server ?
Or I could also demote my current exchange server from the domain first to be sure I don't have any DC issue ??

Thank you so much for your help !!

Martin L.
Post #: 1
RE: Can I demote Exchange server ? - 16.Apr.2009 8:46:40 AM   
MartinL

The fact is that I have read somewhere that I shouldn't install Exchange 2007 on a domain with DC 2000 active !
So I wanted to demote both of my 2000 DC server. But I have also read that I shouldn't demote a domain controller with Exchange installed on it !!

That is confusing !!

Tkx in advance !

Martin L.

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 2
RE: Can I demote Exchange server ? - 20.Apr.2009 3:04:31 PM   
MartinL

I really need help here !
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part1.html is where it suggests to run 2003 DC only :
quote:

You must make sure that the Domain Controller that is the schema master in your Active Directory runs Windows Server 2003 with at least Service Pack 1 applied. This is also true for any Global Catalog servers in each Active Directory site in which you plan on deploying Exchange 2007. Actually I recommend you run Windows Server 2003 with at least Service Pack 1 applied on all Domain Controllers in the Active Directory Forest.

And I have read here in MSExchange that I should remove Exchange of my 2000 DC before I can demote it !
But I cannot uninstall my Exchange 2000 before I do the transition to Exchange 2007 !!!

I m planning on converting my Exchange 2000 to Native mode (as it is in mixed mode right now), and then start the Exchange 2007 installation... but I don't want to run into problems.
That is why I m a bit concern about this guy saying that he recommend that all my Dc are in 2003 SP1 !!

anyone can help ?

Thank you so much !

Martin L.

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 3
RE: Can I demote Exchange server ? - 20.Apr.2009 3:05:20 PM   
MartinL

Sorry, double post !

BTW, I changed the default Global catalog, DC and Config server from "Exchange system manager" to my 2003 DC !
I guess I could demote my exchange server now, but I need to be sure !

Thank you very much!

Martin L.

< Message edited by MartinL -- 21.Apr.2009 10:31:08 AM >

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 4
RE: Can I demote Exchange server ? - 22.Apr.2009 10:14:35 AM   
MartinL

OK then, I figured that I cannot do it !! Unless I want to have a LOT of problem !!

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Can I demote Exchange server ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter