• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Policies - size limits

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Policies - size limits Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Policies - size limits - 30.Apr.2009 11:48:47 AM   
whitemtntn

Would like to get some feedback from IT Managers...What policies are people moving towards for email size receive/sending restrictions?  We're a law firm. We have a limit of 10MB for both send/receive but been getting some complaints from a few lawyers that its too low for the way people are working these days, particularly for receiving.

We're running Exchange 2003 Enterprise. Our Exch store is currently 40GB, our largest single mailbox at 4.6GB  For mailbox size control, I use Mailbox Management to remove Inbox/Sent Items emails older than 4 months and Deleted Items after 1 month (this is what I could get them to agree to, they would not go for mailbox size limits)

My concern is, as always, letting Exchange grow too large, backups taking longer, and potential attacks..  Storage is cheap, we could always buy more drives, etc.. From what I understand, Exch 2003 can have problems if mailboxes get too large, 2007 is more robust for large mailboxes?

What are people's thoughts on these issues?  I'm looking to reshape policy.. What has become typical for email size limitation?  Is 10MB not realistic anymore? What are the risks for raising it to say, 30 or 50MB?

Thanks- please chime in,
WhiteMtntn

< Message edited by whitemtntn -- 30.Apr.2009 1:25:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Policies - size limits - 30.Apr.2009 4:19:43 PM   
siva30

Generally send/receive message size 2MB, expect some users. It is improve server performance also outlook

If you want apply any policy please read this link it is help you

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Implementing_System_Policies.html

Thanks
siva

(in reply to whitemtntn)
Post #: 2
RE: Policies - size limits - 30.Apr.2009 5:03:52 PM   
whitemtntn

Hi, I appreciate the response, but that really wasn't too helpful to me, no offense.
I know what has been typical in the past (2MB, 4MB) and I know how to set the policies. That wasn't my question....

I am looking for the opinions of experienced IT Managers.  The way people are working is changing.  Storage is cheaper, email is more vital than ever, attachments are getting larger with scanning, video, audio, PDFs etc..
Mailboxes are getting larger and the technology is available to possibly make this manageable. 
Opinions..  Anyone else?

(in reply to whitemtntn)
Post #: 3
RE: Policies - size limits - 1.May2009 9:45:04 AM   
de.blackman

I am a consultant and worked with many law firms. The size of my clients range from small single office with less than 100 employees to large world-wide organizations with 1000's of employees. From what I've seen send/receive limits for most of them has been limited to between 10MB and 20MB but I havent seen any larger than that. One company actually limited the send size to 10MB and receive size to 30MB so that large documents can be received. For the mailbox size, i can say 90% of the large organizations implement email archiving solutions (like Mimosa or Symantec's EnterpriseVault) so most emails are stored off exchange and that allows them to limite the size of mailboxes. In fact all my law firm clients have implemented mailbox sizes no larger than 1GB per user (most of them are around 500MB limit per mailbox since archiving is being used).

Hope that helps.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to whitemtntn)
Post #: 4
RE: Policies - size limits - 3.May2009 4:54:40 AM   
biabani

Hello .... !

The normal policy used with all our clients is 3MB sending and 7 MB receiving with do improve the server performance.

Syed Mohiuddin

(in reply to whitemtntn)
Post #: 5
RE: Policies - size limits - 3.May2009 3:17:34 PM   
uemurad

Be aware of unexpected consequences of allowing large messages in either direction.  Here are some:

When a large message is being transferred, it can cause your outbound queue to back up as other messages are awaiting it to complete.  This can be compounded if the large message is being sent to multiple domains.  When that happens, you can expect calls from your user because messages are taking longer than expected to be delivered.  In addition, any virus scanning you have on top of Exchange will take longer as well.

Expect more questions from your users as large messages never get delivered, primarily because the recipient systems don't allow such large messages.

If you are using PDAs with ActiveSync, large message downloads can cause the w3wp.exe service to utilize all available CPU time to the point that you get widespread synchronization failures (one I just experienced recently, prompting a call to MS-PSS).

Large messages beget large mailboxes as most users don't remove attachments in a timely fashion.

Users will start to share files via Email instead of whatever network resources you provide - typically because it's easier to organize and search - and everyone always has Email open at any given time.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to whitemtntn)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Policies - size limits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter