SMTP for POP3 users. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility

Silnaes -> SMTP for POP3 users. (18.May2009 8:29:17 PM)

A solution to this might be as simple as pointing me to another thread and if it is I'm sorry but I haven't been able to find that elusive thread on my own yet...  I have an SBS 2008 server running exchange 2007.  Everyone is in the office with the server using various flavors of Outlook with one exception.  I have one contract employee running POP3 out of state.  He is using the windows live mail client that comes stock with Vista and I need for him to be able to send and recieve mail through it just as he did with our former hosted POP3 solution.

I am using Outlook Express 6.0 to test configurations.

I have enabled POP3 and I changed the authentication options to use Windows Integrated Authentication instead of TLS.  I have created a new recieve connector with the authentications setting "Externally Secured" set and the permission groups set to "Exchange Users and Exchange Servers".  The new connector is going over port 25 and I am using 192.168.1.10 as an ADDITIONAL ip address set to the same nic that his hosting the autogenerated connectors.

With all of that said I am able to use the POP3 protocol to recieve mail from the server without a problem.  I am unable to send mail from any but the machines on the local network.  Testing with Outlook Express 6.0 I get the error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'silnaes@domain.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'remote.domain.com', Server: 'remote.domain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

If anyone has any suggestions I would extremely grateful.  Thank you in advance.

-Silnaes-

rishishah -> RE: SMTP for POP3 users. (23.Jun.2009 9:16:34 AM)

You will have to switch to basic authentication, rather than Integrated Windows Authentication...but than this will reveal your credentials if someone is snooping across the network...

So if you are using this across the internet, please do so with TLS

Page: [1]