• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay - 21.May2009 5:38:19 AM   
toddmyd

Hi All,

We run windows 2003 64-bit & exchange 2007 (ver 08.01.0359.002), all the latest patches and rollups etc.

We have a couple of servers part of the same domain forest, one for Exchange email  hosting and one with Windows 2003 & MS SQL 2005 for website and database hosting. The exchange server is primary DNS with the SQL server as the secondary DNS.

Now on to our troubles, we run Persits ASPEmail on the SQL server which is called from ASP website pages. Whenever we try to send email using the ASPEmail we receive the error '550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay'.

How do we configure IP address or domain names to allow the SQL server to relay emails through the exchange server?

Both servers are in the same network segment, inside the same firewall and running in the same domain forest under the same domain name.

We have tried multiple domains, email users etc. Basically ASPEmail sends the following parameters - mail.mailservername.com, username, password.

We know the website code and ASPEmail works 100% as we have used external email hosted on a different third party external mailserver and everything works fine.

Any help much appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay - 21.May2009 10:58:52 AM   
John Weber

http://www.unifysquare.com/blog/post/Allow-Application-Servers-to-Relay-off-of-Exchange-2007.aspx

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to toddmyd)
Post #: 2
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay - 24.May2009 1:32:29 AM   
toddmyd

Thanks for the reply.

Read and actioned your post/blog and had success. I wanted to post back our settings and small adjustments to your steps to ensure we still have a secure exchange and webserver setup.

Within Exchange Management Console > Under the Hub Transport > New Connector (named 'allow webserver relay') > Network Tab ...

'Under local IP address to receive mail' -
We have two IPs that our configured on our exchange server.

Under 'Remotes Servers that have these IP addresses' -
We have a range of IPs that our webserver(s) runs (i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24).

Under the 'Authentication Tab' we had to tick the following, slighlty different to your article -
1. Transport Layer Security is ticked (not ticked on sub tick box for enable domain security).
2. Externally Secured is ticked.

Under 'Permission Groups' -
1. Anonymous Users is ticked
2. Exchange Users us ticked
3. Exchange Servers is ticked

We're going to retest without the anonymous users and I'll post back results. Are we nice and secure still?

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 3
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay - 26.May2009 12:38:18 PM   
John Weber

You should not need anything but the externally secured, which, btw, bypasses almost everything.  Anonymous is good, using Exchange users just allows someone in the /24 to connect, authenticate and relay.
TLS is good.
I would not use the ENTIRE /24 as accepted addresses.  I would have ONE or TWO IP's that are accepted.

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to toddmyd)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter