• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

do I need to have a website before installing and configuring Exchange Server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> do I need to have a website before installing and configuring Exchange Server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
do I need to have a website before installing and confi... - 3.Jun.2009 11:38:21 PM   
Yekini

Hello Guys,
I just got registered to this forum and I'm wonder if anyone can assist me here. I don't know if this is the right place to post this message. I have been reading a lot of articles and quite some few books on Microsoft exchange server 2003 for some time now.

My question is: If I want to install and setup Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 in an organisation or in a lab setup for training purposes, do I need to have a website before installing and configuring Exchange Server? I'm a newbie in exchange server management.

I'm asking this because I see people email addresses ending with their organization's website addresses. For example, website of some organization: www.mywebsite.org and email address of a work in that organization: emailid@mywebsite.org

Please I would very glad if anyone could assist me.

Thanks in advance
Yekini
Post #: 1
RE: do I need to have a website before installing and c... - 3.Jun.2009 11:49:27 PM   
uemurad

It's not a website you need first, it's the registered domain name.  You can own the rights to mywebsite.org without having Email or a website.  If you are expecting to create a website, or expecting to be able to receive mail from other Internet users, you need to register a unique domain name.

Your question really doesn't have much to do with Exchange per se.  Since you are doing this as a training exercise, please obtain training materials and start reading.  If you run into specific questions that you don't feel are adequately covered in your training, feel free to post them here at the forums.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Yekini)
Post #: 2
RE: do I need to have a website before installing and c... - 4.Jun.2009 5:43:16 PM   
Yekini

Thanks uemurad for the reply. I really appreciate it. At least I have somewhere to start from. That means once I have a unique registered domain name I can setup a mail server or a web server.

Thanks

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: do I need to have a website before installing and c... - 6.Jun.2009 8:10:38 AM   
ExchBin

If you want your users to access it externally, then you need to register for a domain. But if you are setting it up for internal training purposes, your Active directory domain name would do!! 

(in reply to Yekini)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> do I need to have a website before installing and configuring Exchange Server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter