• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Proper backup

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Proper backup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proper backup - 4.Jun.2009 7:10:20 PM   
ut2004

I'm using ARCserve 12.5 that is exchange aware, with that I'm backing up my storage groups.  Should I backup transaction logs, as well??
The reason I'm asking is that when I try to restore the storage group in the test environment, I could not mount the store, and I have search for the possible solution to that, and came as possible cause that some transaction logs are missing.  And in the RSG folder there were no logs (so much for the exchange aware).
Any help/pointer greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Proper backup - 4.Jun.2009 7:21:07 PM   
mark@mvps.org

If it's Exchangeaware all you do is to select the stores you want backed up from the GUI. The system will take care of the logs. If it backs up a database it doesn't need to back up the logs because if you have a good backup of the store then the logs are useless to you.

You need to understand a little more about logs and what they are for. A backup does not necessarily ensure that every tranaction inside a log is committed to the but if you're backing up in a quiet time you can assume that there will be no uncommitted transaction in a log file.

And what are you talking about with the RSG? What are you doing?

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to ut2004)
Post #: 2
RE: Proper backup - 4.Jun.2009 7:39:14 PM   
ut2004

RSG, when I did the restore with ARC, it dumped everything in to Recovery Storage Group folder (\program files\microsoft\exchange server\recovery storage group.  From the ARC point of view recovery was successful, but when I checked the size of the storage group, it was unchanged.  Then I was under impression that, recovery failed.  Ive run recovery process again, but this time changing settings to recover and overwrite live db storage group, when done .. storage group was unmounted, when I try to mount it.. this error came up:    Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database: EBOX\First Storage Group\store1; Error code: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515).  I should have try to create the new group and point it to the RSG, but its too late.  The only good thing about it is, its a test enviroment.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Proper backup - 8.Jun.2009 11:39:36 AM   
ut2004

still hitting the wall, .. I need some guidance.  I have two mailbox stores, mbstore1 got corrupted (beyond repair, I think), and I have deleted it.  I have create a new one with the same name.  I have manage to restore the mailbox db from the backup, to RSG folder, now using Exchange Troubleshooter wizard, I'm trying to merge/copy I got the message "no mailboxes match the matching criteria", sure thing it would not match.  But how do I replace the the two db's??  or to use the one from backup instead of the newly created??
as always any help /  pointer greatlly appreciated.  Thank you.

(in reply to ut2004)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> Proper backup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote