DNS Forwarder breaks email (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing

jaxisland -> DNS Forwarder breaks email (25.Jun.2009 4:26:10 PM)

I am trying to setup a domain trust between 2 different domains. The first step is to setup each side with a DNS forwarder to the other domain. When i do this, email stops flowing between the sites. When I remove the forwarders it starts to work again, how can I get email to work while enabling dns forwarders?

Thanks for any help.

jveldh -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (25.Jun.2009 4:32:36 PM)

Hi,

There are two options:

- ensure that the domain has the correct MX records
- create a seperate send connector which sends mail to a smart host
and fill in the ip address of the mailserver in the other domain.

jaxisland -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (25.Jun.2009 4:46:20 PM)

Do you have more details on the smart host? The MX records all look correct to me, mail is not a problem from the outside world during the down time between offices.

jveldh -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (26.Jun.2009 4:43:02 PM)

Hi,

When using a smarthost you will skip the check of the MX record and will directly setup a connection to the mailserver specified as smarthost. So for your situation create a send connector which has the ip-address of the mailserver in the other domain and ensure that this send connector will only be used for that domain.

Elan Shudnow -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (26.Jun.2009 11:38:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jveldh

Hi,

When using a smarthost you will skip the check of the MX record and will directly setup a connection to the mailserver specified as smarthost. So for your situation create a send connector which has the ip-address of the mailserver in the other domain and ensure that this send connector will only be used for that domain.

That's actually most likely not true.  Why most likely not true?  There was a discussion about this on the Microsoft Distribution list I am a part of (for the Exchange 2010 TAP) and it was stated by two MS employees that a smart host which actually still try MX lookup first before it attempts the smart host.  Yes, a lot of us were surprised; including myself. The first guy sounded confident but the second guy said he believed but didn't test it in months.  So take that as you will.  I haven't done a network trace to see for sure so I'm not sure myself.

jveldh -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (27.Jun.2009 3:43:26 PM)

Alen,

Yes I also found a previous discussion on this and someone from Microsoft on the Technet forum told me the same as you heard. But as the MX records are correct according to jaxisland it should work when creating a send connector.

jaxisland -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (29.Jun.2009 9:27:12 AM)

Couple questions, first can someone link some information on configuring the smart host. Second, can I configure this smart host without configuring the DNS forwarders?

Thank you.

jaxisland -> RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email (29.Jun.2009 11:08:21 AM)

I just setup a SMTP Connector and it breaks all mail from being delivered to that domain from our domain. I delete the connector and the email starts being delivered. Any ideas?

Page: [1]