• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

undeliverable mail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> undeliverable mail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
undeliverable mail - 9.Jul.2009 12:13:12 PM   
sharma.satyajeet

Hi All,

I have a user in exchange 2007. I also have exchange 2003 in my environment.
I have created an smtp connector in exchange 2003 with cost 1 for an external xxx.com domain. We have created AD contacts for users of this external domain.

A scenario occured with one of the high end user in exchange 2007. All mails from him was flowing normally to this external domain. But one day when he sent a mail to some users (Contacts) of this domain he got an error of  5.6.1 smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host . 
He tried sending another mail which went smoothly. Since he is a high profile user, management are asking me the reason for this NDR.
I am out of ideas as to what the exact cause would be behind this NDR. 

Any help from anyone will be highly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: undeliverable mail - 10.Jul.2009 11:15:13 AM   
adrisan

Was he using a distribution list? If the distribution list has the Exchange 2003 as the expansion server, sometimes it gives this error message. Users are able to send directly with no problems. I solved this by moving the expansion server to a 2007 hub server. In EMC - Recipient Configuration - Distribution Groups, select the distribution list and go to Properties - Advanced and select an exchange 2007 server.

(in reply to sharma.satyajeet)
Post #: 2
RE: undeliverable mail - 10.Jul.2009 11:43:49 AM   
sharma.satyajeet

Hi Adrisan,

Thanks for the reply.
The user was not using any distribution list . The user has send the mail individually to these users. These two users are external contacts.The mail was also sent to some internal users which was delivered successfully.

(in reply to adrisan)
Post #: 3
RE: undeliverable mail - 13.Jul.2009 3:57:46 PM   
adrisan

Most probably the message was 8bitmime encoded.
This error might occurs when mail is sent to a recipient with badly configured mail filtering systems. This bounce message occurs when the receiving mailserver has a front-end filter installed which tells your mailserver it supports 8 bit MIME characters and accepts the message, but then cannot deliver the message to the backend server because that does not support 8 bit MIME.
If the recipients frontend server didn't advertise that it supports 8 bit MIME, your email server would automatically convert the message and send it 7 bit MIME, which it could support.
You can check if the receiving domain advertises that it supports 8bitmime:
TELNET <recipient-mailserver-FQDN> 25
EHLO <sender-mailserver-FQDN>
You can also check if the message sent was 8bit encoded.

(in reply to sharma.satyajeet)
Post #: 4
RE: undeliverable mail - 15.Jul.2009 5:39:19 AM   
sharma.satyajeet

Hi Adrisan,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to mention here that after the undeliverable mail other mails to the same user was delivered successfully. If the other server does not support 8 bit mime than it should not accept the other mails too. The remote server is exchange 2003 and it is 8 bit mime enabled.

(in reply to adrisan)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> undeliverable mail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter