• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 - 14.Jul.2009 1:57:14 PM   
tvengel

Hello,

I would like to sync my mobile with our exchange 2007 server.
In 2003 you could disable https, which is not a preferred option.
In 2007 you need to use SSL.

Our server is behind a NAT-firewall.
IP : 172.16.x.x
NAME : EXCH2K7

When hearing around, they informed me that I need to purchase Unified Communication Certificates. As we are using only one domainname to sync, I suppose a regular SSL cert will do it to?
As this server is configured as default in IIS, listing to ports
80 and 443.
Do I need to purchase a cert with the public name "mail.ourcompany.com" or do I have to create a CSR with the netbios name, as the server self isn't configured for mail.ourcompany.com.

Regards,
Tim Van Engeland
Post #: 1
RE: Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 - 18.Jul.2009 3:04:05 PM   
ratishnair

Tim,

There aint a diff between Exchange ActiveSync in E2K3 and E2K7 interms of authentication. For Exchange ActiveSync, the virtual directory is configured to use Basic authentication and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). You can change the authentication method for your Exchange ActiveSync server by changing the authentication method on the Exchange ActiveSync virtual directory.

Coming back to your actual question, you can use a normal SSL certificate for securing your Exchange OWA and Activesync and the same should be issued to "mail.companyname.com" and the Root and Intermediate certificate should be present on the Mobile device.

Basic authentication is the simplest method of authentication. With Basic authentication, the server requests that the client submit a user name and password. That user name and password are sent in clear text over the Internet to the server. The server verifies that the supplied user name and password are valid and grants access to the client. By default, this kind of authentication is enabled for Exchange ActiveSync. However, we recommend that you disable Basic authentication unless you are also deploying Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). When you are using Basic authentication over SSL, the user name and password are still sent in plain text, but the communication channel is encrypted.

Have a look : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232023.aspx

Ratish

< Message edited by ratishnair -- 18.Jul.2009 3:05:13 PM >

(in reply to tvengel)
Post #: 2
RE: Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 - 30.Jul.2009 7:20:02 AM   
tvengel

Hello,

The problem I encounter it that when I setup synchronisation and install the SSL-certificate on the server, everything works fine on OWA and ActiveSync.
But from then on, the Outlook 2007 clients start complaining about a certifcate which isn't correct.
Because it's for mail.domain.com and the internal clients see exchserver.domain.local.

Regards,
Tim

(in reply to tvengel)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> Some question about ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter